Favorite iPad for its time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Jul 10, 2016.

?

Which were you most excited about for its time

1. iPad 1

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. iPad 2

22 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. iPad 3/4

14 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. iPad Air

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. iPad Air 2

22 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. iPad Pro 9.7

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. iPad Pro 12.9

17 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. iPad mini 1

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. iPad mini 2/3

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. iPad mini 4

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

There's a similar thread for iPhone's curious about for pads. For its time could also mean now since there's no time like the present but to each his own

Unfortunately had to bundle iPad 3/4 and mini 2/3 to make room on poll options for all iPads

Mini 2/3 don't feel bad about 3 is 2 with Touch ID, still a7 proc same screen and 1gb ram
    And iPad 3 and 4 I felt worse about because a5x which was underpowered a5 for retina to a6x and lightning but same body.

Alas feel free to clarify choice if you feel like it and the answer was one of two bundled options

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Love my 12.9 incher so so much, but the excitement and anticipation and usage the ipad2 gave me was second to none.

3. MultiFinder17, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The original. I still have an original around that I use as a digital photo frame. When I first picked up that tablet and started swiping, pinching, and poking my way around it, I felt that Ive wasn't exaggerating in the launch video when he said that it was truly magical. I haven't really gotten that same revolutionary feeling from any tablet since, although my Air 2 is coming close as it is so damn thin!

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The iPad Air was the one that finally convinced me to get an iPad.

5. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

I've gone for iPad 3. I had a 2 before it, and the lure of that new retina screen was too much to resist. It was such a noticeable difference and was really exciting at the time...we all know the problems it had, which have been it's flaw all along, but at the time of it's release the 3 was very exciting indeed.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd also have to say that the iPad 3 was the one that impressed me the most when it came out. The screen was a huge leap forward and I *believe* it was also the first iPad with LTE which was a nice feature for me.

I do love my iPad Pro though but I'm looking forward to the possibility of an iPad with a higher resolution and an OLED screen at some point. That will be when I upgrade again.

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah I can agree to that! It was a great follow up to 2 and despite my problems with it I never took issue with it like 6+ on 1gb and the retina screen and weight and slowed down ness were worth I for me. Never could get a good 4 screen so rode it out with 3 for a while

8. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Another vote for the iPad 3 because I was excited about the retina display.

9. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I was most excited about the iPad 3 leading up to and following the announcement. For me, iPad releases haven't felt the same although I definitely was really excited following the iPad Air 2 announcement. I thought it was a major upgrade and step forward, despite reviewers' usual comment with each generation ('if you have the previous gen don't upgrade otherwise it's a great choice'). I thought that really wasn't applicable with the Air 2 although probably was for the 9.7-inch Pro.

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I had the iPad 2, and then the 3, loved the functionality and where Apple was headed... but the Air was the first truly sexy iPad. I fell hook line and sinker for the JIve talk. "Magical".

And mine is still humming along, as good as day 1.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The first one. I had wanted a bigger iPod touch since I got the first iPod touch, and it took a while, so I was very excited to finally get one!

12. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The iPad 2 was the one that sold me in getting one for each family member.

13. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Originally I didn't see the point of the iPad. It just didn't seem portable enough to justify the lack of functionality of a notebook to me. Then I saw the original mini and fell in love with its form factor. I've been using it and its successors ever since.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I voted for the Mini 2, even though I never even owned one.

Why? Well, I've always liked the form factor of the iPad Mini and the Mini 2 was the one that really hit it out of the park, the one and only time that the Mini matched the current full sized iPad in internals. The only reason I didn't buy one is because I decided to get that year's Nexus 7 instead because I wanted to give Android a chance, but now I have a Mini 4, which I consider the first real successor to the Mini 2.

15. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I voted for the Mini 2. It brought the advanced iPad world to the size that I loved. The Mini 1 was great, but the Mini 2 brought it up to snuff.
    I'm not a fan of the 9.7" so I'm not sure which of those I would have chosen.. I'm not knocking them, I just don't use them. My wife, however, has no use for the Mini's.
    I currently have a Mini 4, a truly magical device, and will buy the next gen Mini as well.

16. Beell1990, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

Beell1990 macrumors newbie

I voted for iPad mini 4. iPad mini is the handiest among all the iPad models.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

18. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

First one was the 2 but the Air was awesome for that time. Fast, super display. Now I have the Pro 9.7" and it's another jump. Will serve me well for the next couple of years.

19. Rava macrumors member

Definitely the Mini 2. Before I bought it I had an iPad 3 that I barely used because it was heavy and awkward. After upgrading to the Mini 2 I moved most of my home computing from my Desktop to the it.

20. ShaunAFC3 macrumors regular

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Although I voted for the iPad 2, upon reflection, I recall how cool it was to jump to an iPad 4. Silky smooth graphics and looks so good with the retina display. In fact, honestly- I think my iPad 4 screen looks better than my iPad Air.

22. PBMB macrumors regular

Same here. I have one (mini 4), and I have tried bigger iPads and other tablets also as well. The handiness factor is unique to the mini, it makes so easy to take it everywhere, even in a pouch.

Also, the mini 4 is the first in its category with truly high quality components, construction and overall feel. It blew my mind when I saw that it performs better for everyday tasks than a (much more expensive) high end Android tablet.

My next one will be a mini too.

23. Skika macrumors 68030

I vote the original Air. It was so much more convenient and lighter than the previous ipads. First iPad that didnt feel like you were holding a dinner plate. I bought mine on launch and it served me well until recently when i got the 9.7 pro.

24. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Air 2 for sure. The 4 would have been my previous favourite but it was so heavy still..then the Air was underwhelming. iPad 2 was good but the grainy screen always bothered me, top marks for longevity though.

25. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex