Favorite iPad Stylus brand?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oicaptain, Mar 11, 2012.

1. oicaptain macrumors newbie

I've only purchased one brand for my iPad 1 and that was Boxwave. Long story short, I hated it. Spent 20-25 on a stylus I only used for a week or so. Due to the iPad only responding to the "human touch" I always found the tip of any stylus too big...?

Are there any styluses (sp) that have a fine point with good response rate? I would love to find one within a reasonable price range but most of the time it's "you get what you pay for". I know that when I receive my iPad3 I would like to consider a stylus brand that I don't end up wasting and forgetting about.

My question is..
    what is your favorite iPad stylus brand?

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i ordered a cregle ipen. looks like a better stylus but quite expensive. they start shipping out now. so there should be reviews available soon.

cregle.com

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Always wondered if these styli were prone to scratching the display...

For that reason, was looking at some of the brush-type styli made for the same purpose.

Don't know why, because I don't have an ipad.... But have been considering one for work. (if they'd actually let me)

4. oicaptain, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

oicaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

I also had a zagg invisible shield installed on the front so maybe that could interfere with the response rate? I will more than likely purchase zagg again, especially since I plan to annotate/draw with a stylus.

To be honest, I've owned my ipad since 2009 and haven't really started using to til this year. I've purchased a bunch of apps that would force me to use my iPad on a daily basis, like iAnnotate. I also had to purchase a keyboard. I had a lot of trouble determining whether I actually needed an iPad or not. But after some additional purchases (and jailbreaking) I actually do use it. If you're constantly commuting and you don't really need your heavy laptop until you get home, then I think it's worth considering. Not to say the iPad is a laptop replacement, but as a student it's been my book replacement and pdf replacement.

----------

that looks really promising. I hope it comes out on amazon because I'm not too fond of the 90 dollar price tag.

edit: it looks like it only works for their app :(

5. beach bum macrumors member

beach bum

Try Amazon... Acase 2nd Generation Capacitive Stylus (Jet Black) for iPad / Kindle Fire/ Kindle Touch/ Galaxy/ Transformer Prime for 7.99. I have the AYL Stylus that is of the same design but for some reason, Amazon no longer carries it. And it's cheaper than the AYL which was $11 - 13... I think I need to order a few of the Acase.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't want to advertise the iPen here because there are no reviews out so it could just suck but it looks promising. it works with any app that implements the software for this pen. right now about ten apps will support the pen with hopefully more coming. also Cregle said they would release a iPen2 that will be pressure sensitive.

the drawback is you have to always plug in (and have with you ) the adaptor. also right now it does not work with jailbroken iPads for whatever reason.

i should get mine in a couple of days and will test it.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yep,

got my Cregle iPen today. The only app that works with it at this time is Ghostwriter.

I have an iPad1. The pen/stylus itself feels like a $2 fine tip Sharpie. It works as shown on their videos. However there are two issues with it:

One is hardware. You calibrate the pen by pointing on a fine button. You need to hold the pen for this at the same angle as if you were writing. If you change this angle then the tip of the pen is not where the ink appears. This is because the infrared sensors detect the position of the pen a bit away from the screen and if you hold the pen diagonal to the screen the detection point is a bit offset from the pen tip.

The other much more severe issue is (hopefully) software and the slowness of the iPad1. There is a half second lag between moving the pen and the ink appearing. This makes hand writing next to impossible. the lag is twice as much as when using a finger to write in ghostwriter. So there is already a lag on the iPad1 in Ghostwriter under iOS5.1 and the iPen software slows down even more. I hope that software updates or other note taking apps make this lag go away or get at least much less.

Aside of that the iPen feels a bit awkward because the ink appears at the LCD and that is separated by a tenth of an inch from the Pen tip because of the glass touch panel. No stylus will ever overcome this.

All in all I still have hope for this iPen. If they fix the lag or if the iPad 3 is fast enough to make it irrelevant then I would recommend this as a solution for note taking.

8. oicaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your review! I really appreciate it. It would be great if the iPen2 didn't need a censor at all, but I don't see that happening any time soon. It's a great concept, they just need to make it work for other apps as well. I purchased the nomadbrush for now because I was scared of any other fine-point stylus scratching my display.

9. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Here's a quick sample using my palm to rest, medium thickness of pen, the stylus was the one I mentioned in my previous post.

[​IMG]

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I used to use the Acase (before I sold my iPad 2). I preferred it more so than the myriad of other styli I tried out. Granted, it wasn't perfect either.

11. monkeylui macrumors 6502

12. oicaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the sample! Gonna order this!

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

I just bought the Adonit Jotpro and so far it's working very well.

14. mekatzer macrumors newbie

iFaraday

Don't use one, but a number of people I work with take notes on iPads all day and swear by these:

http://ifaraday.com/

FYI - iPad was released in 2010.

15. oicaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

oops i meant 2010. i mixed it up with when i got my macbook. thank you lol.

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That looks pretty good to me, I'm using a Griffin at the moment, but it's not good enough with the my new iPad third generation...Looking for a top quality stylus for drawing purposes....Yours may well be worth a look.

17. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted

I'm going to second this motion. I've had 2 ifaradays. They are very nice an inexpensive.

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

19. macrominnie macrumors member

I've been eying the cheapies at Monoprice, going for about $3 to $4 US.
    I'd be interested to know if others have tried these. Several seem to be favorable reviewed at the site. I've had good experiences with many non-branded items from that vendor.

It doesn't seem like things are near a time when these styli will rival the pen on a Cintiq tablet.

For a few dollars, if they don't work well, they could be used to stir coffee...

20. ByronicLion macrumors newbie

I've been using the iFaraday for a few weeks. It works really well so can't go wrong getting that one.

21. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Been using a Wacom Bamboo for a few weeks and I love it.

The Verge had a great roundup on iPad stylii.

22. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I bought a Targus stylus from Sears of all places. It was 14.99 and works great, plus its black so it matches my iPad nicely. I would recommend it and it can be sourced locally.

23. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams