Favorite Laptop Cooler?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jman995x, Dec 31, 2009.

1. jman995x macrumors regular

I have a MBP 17" that has been running a little hotter than normal lately (at least it seems that way to me. My "Fan Control" program shows that the temp is ranging 63*C - 80*C...is that normal?...high?...low?).

I bought a Belkin F5L001 Laptop Cooler and that seems to keep it a little cooler.
    I got to wondering if there was anything better out there and wound up buying this slick looking NZXT Cryo unit that is all aluminum with 3 120mm fans. On full tilt it lowered the temp by about 2*C, which didn't seem like a lot considering the unit was $70.00. I was really surprised. So, I'm coming to the experts....

I'm curious what other MBP 17" users (or others with really hot laptops) think of the laptop coolers they've used.

Please give pros and cons.

Thanks.

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I don't persay have a 17 but by 15 powerbook gets hot and i have an aluminum desk and it does the trick.

3. jman995x thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I was so surprised about the NZXT Cryo not having any effect on my MBP. It's beefy aluminum with 3 huge fans. The Belkin would make my MBP's aluminum case cool/cold to the touch and it's plastic. I thought the NZXT, being aluminum, would turn my MBP into dry ice. Nope. The Belkin was ~ $20.00 and the NZXT was $70.00 and the Belkin (to my shock) did a much better job of cooling my MBP. Go figure.

4. jman995x thread starter macrumors regular

I've also seen a product called "Xpad Laptop Desk" which is a passive cooling pad.

Anybody had any experience with this unit?