Favorite Movie Cyborgs / Bionics

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KeriJane, Jun 6, 2010.

1. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

At the risk of making the Five Stupidest Threads list even longer...

Who / What is your favorite Movie Cyborg?

Cyborg meaning a living being augmented by machinery or vice-versa.
    Could also go by the term "Bionic"

Here's mine:

#1- Davros and the Daleks from Dr. Who

#2- General Grievous from Star Wars

#3- Darth Vader from Star Wars

#4- Cybermen from Dr. Who

#5- Travis from Blake's Seven

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS> Did you know that there's a real live Cyborg on the loose? His name is Rush Limbaugh and he has a cybernetic / bionic EAR

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Cybermen are ace – although the new Cybus versions are a pale imitation of the far superior originals.

Now, here's a sticking point on the Daleks – can we class them as proper cyborgs, seeing as how they're essentially creatures residing inside vehicles? If they count then would, say, the Powerloader-clad Ripley from Aliens?

Anyway, Robocop is another splendid cyborg. They're generally part man, part machine but in addition he's all cop too.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Motoko Kusinagi from Ghost in the Shell. I was going with Priss from Blade Runner, but she's a replicant not a cyborg.:p

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Robocop was so awesome in a campy kind of way for 80's cyborgs.

For more current cyborgs Dell Spooner (Will Smith) in I Robot comes to mind as a good character.

Then again let's look at it from the reverse and on the subject of Asimov based characters what about Robin Williams playing robot Andrew Martin in Bicentennial Man basically the brain was positronic but the body was progressively being replaced with more parts with characteristically biological functions over mechanical ones. At least in theory those lines between living and machine can kind of blur can they not?

There was also D.A.R.R.Y.L. which was the body of a kid with a robot brain.

Plug head from Circuitry Man.

Benson from Saturn 3

5. KeriJane thread starter macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

OMG!

I forgot all about Del Spooner!

He's a RELUCTANT, Hero Cyborg.

He's my new #1 Cyborg. :D ;) :)

Oh, and lets not forget the villain and some of his henchmen in Wild Wild West... Cyborgs can be steam powered too! :eek:

And Luke Skywalker after he got his hand replaced..... Cyborg! Just like his father and for the same reason.

Oh, I feel the Daleks qualify because they were originally Kaleds intentionally mutated for greater intelligence and survival but less physique, hence the need for an external transportation device without which they can't really survive. But yes, they are sort of independent of the vehicle so maybe it's open to debate.
    Robocop is also a definitive Cyborg. Maybe THE definitive Cyborg.

Have Fun,
    Be Nice to a Cyborg day,
    Keri