Favorite Note-Taking app so far?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Manatee, May 11, 2010.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

One of the things I really want to use the iPad for is taking meeting notes. It would replace my stacks of note pads, and I could email the notes right from the iPad.

I've tried typing and writing, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. I'd rather have typed notes, since I can work with them in a word processor, and others can add comments easily after they're distributed.

But... I need to be able to include diagrams within the notes, so I need to be able to type, draw a picture and annotate it, and then continue typing.

So far, the best app I've found is Note Taker HD (from Dan Bricklin, the father of VisiCalc -- which is pretty cool!). However, this is a "writing only" app (no typing), and the text entry method is awkward -- writing in the box at the bottom of the page, and having to go back to the left side of the box every couple of words. It's a good idea, though. Oh, and so far, it only supports one page at a time. When you get to the end of the page, you have to start a new file.

Can anyone recommend other apps that they like for taking notes?

Thanks.

2. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

3. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I had started a thread about this topic recently too... I've been on the hunt for the perfect note-taking app.

NoteTaker is the best hand-writing interface.
    However, GhostWriter has a similar interface... AND it saves into notebooks instead of individual pages. However, there is not "tagging" ability like in NoteTaker. Also, GhostWriter needs a little more refinement. As the page fills up, it does get a little laggy and choppy (but not enough to be a deal-breaker).

I'm honestly torn between the two as to which I like better.

Now, last night, I downloaded WritePad. THIS was a cool app... it uses handwriting recognition to type out what you've written on the screen... and it actually does a great job! I was surprised how well it worked, and I tend to write in a combination of script and print, so I was even more surprised that it didn't struggle to get my writing correct. As long as you write straight across, left-to-right, it does an excellent job.

The ONLY downside is that there's no combination of true-handwriting and the handwriting recognition. You can't sketch out a diagram to put on the page.

It would be great if NoteTaker HD saved into notebooks and incorporated an option for WritePad's handwriting recognition turning notes into types words!

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It there a limit of maximum length of a recording? How big are the file size? How sensitive is the mic for picking up all the conversation in a meeting?

5. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I have been using a few apps. I have tried PaperDesk, Evernote, and NoteTake HD.

PaperDesk:

I love how this app allows me to create different notebooks for different topics/projects. It also records audio and allows me to draw diagrams on the screen. PaperDesk also allows you to email your pages as PDF documents.

Evernote:

Evernote is cool because it allows me to sync my notes between my MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad and other computers. But, the formatting of the notes is not the best. The sound quality of the audio recording seem to be very low to me. I had to turn the volume way up in order to hear anything.

NoteTaker HD:

This is a cool implementation of taking notes with your fingers. You can write notes in 2 editing modes. The first lets you write directly to the screen on the virtual sheet of paper and the second allows you to type into a large box at the bottom of the screen. This box allows you to type large letters and then the letters are placed as smaller text on the actual virtual paper. The only negative to this app is I have yet to find a way to type in text instead of writing with my finger.

So far I have been using PaperDesk the most because it allows me to organize my work projects into different notebooks. I also really like the way I can type as well as draw diagrams on my pages.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've tried about a dozen such notetaking apps and the one that I keep going back to is, whitenote. It offers the best all-around functionality IMO. It has its share of limitations but as I create tabs and pages within tabs, the ability to search text across it all makes it handy.

I use EverNote for "static" reference information that I need to access between my MBP, G1 android phone, and iPad.

7. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I have been recording hour long classes just fine. I am not sure how to tell how big they are

8. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

I have used several programs including notetaker HD and still feel like ijot, which does not have an ipad specific app, has come up with the best solution for writing on the iphone/ipad. It is a lot like notetaker, but the little box where you write scrolls at the pace of your writing. Much more natural in my opinion. Unfortunately, the balance of the app leaves much to be desired. Its functional, but not a real business tool.

ijot + notetaker + goodreader = death of the laptop

9. iThinman macrumors regular

Picking a post to bump and cross-post these comments from the apps forum. This one should do. :)

Has anybody taken another look at WhiteNote recently since it was updated? I finally picked it up and while it is getting fairly close, it still feels a long ways away.

It is overall sluggish and I didn't get a big confidence boost trying to create multiple notes and pages. Several times when attempting to delete the only page of a note, the previous content would be shown as 'page 0'.

Also, It does not appear to do anything with audio recordings at all. No export option and I annotate find them in the apps folder structure. Can't record audio if I can't do anything with it outside the app after.

Overall, I really like this app though. The feature list and layout work for me, but I am starting to fear the dev may be in over his head. No offense to him/her at all, but I'd love to see what a seasoned coder could do with the framework as-is.

Overall though, this app is #1 on my list of 'damn I hope that becomes awesome soon' apps.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

WhiteNote was the first notepad app that I bought. It promised to be the closest thing to MS OneNote on the iPad. But the developer rushed too many new features without making sure that the core features were rock solid. I still have it, and end up using it for 48 hours after an update and then putting it back on the shelf.

I grudgingly go back to SundryNotes (which has its own share of limitations).

WhiteNote is the most frustrating app I own.... frustrating because I can tell that if all of the features worked as expected it would be great. But each update is nothing more than another drive around the cul de sac. :(

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm surprised no one mentioned Penultimate. Can I get some opinions on that before I purchase? I wish to have notebooks rather than just pages in the app, be able to record audio for hour long classes, be able to draw and type together, be able to email out the material in PDF format (a must) or others (if possible but not a must).

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Penultimate is a drawing-mode only app. It's claim to fame is wrist protection (ignoring gestures made by the side of your hand while writing/drawing).

Noterize is ok. Drawing are of the "bitmap" variety than "vector". That's not a bad thing but it does making moving drawings around on the page impossible. I like the ease of switching between text and draw modes.

14. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Drawing is the only real downside of the app, although the devs have promised to make it smoother over time. There's wrist protection that works fairly well, all that's needed is a better drawing function.

I agree on the ease of switching. If someone made a Noterize/Penultimate/Soundpaper hybrid, it would be the ultimate note taking app. :D

15. iThinman macrumors regular

Soundpaper is the one that indexes the audio to the typing? Yeah, that is basically awesome and neeeeeds to be in "the winner".

16. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Until someone, (hint, hint, Apple) writes a note taking app for both the Mac and iPad that syncs and is similar to MS OneNote, there will never be the perfect note taking app.