Favorite podcast app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ring, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ring macrumors regular

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in this as well. I've been using the music app but its been giving me some frustration as I find it will often continue playing (silently) through the podcast and maybe the next few after it disconnects from BT in my car. It could be that it is my car's audio system that is at fault, but I might be willing to give a dedicated podcast app a shot.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. Great app. Syncs very nicely with iCloud also.

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Downcast. I don't have any experience with other 3rd party apps, but if you've been using the iTunes/Music app, you're in for a treat (like when you stop beating your head against the wall, only better).

Regards,
    Tom

6. ring thread starter macrumors regular

I just did a search on iTunes and found something called "icatcher"

Works great, itunes is a pain in the ass and this is not

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

make sure it has good skipping features. Some like 30 second, 2 minute or 2x or 3x ffwd modes.

8. QuarterSwede, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Except it's atrocious UI.

My favorite, hands down, is Instacast. Great solid player that has quick access to Show Notes, Bookmarks, AirPlay, Speed, Sleep Timer, Direction of playing next in queue (Forward/None/Back), Email/Twitter/Copy share URL (shares at point listening to), and volume.

From The Verge's review:
    [​IMG]

Anything is better than the Music app for podcasts though.

9. ring thread starter macrumors regular

I tried instacast, don't like their freemium paidium garbage and in app purchase scam..

Downcast just looks ugly

iCatcher was first on the list and so far the only one I could us.e

10. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I tried iCatcher at first and while it's nice, it never ever marks podcasts as either viewed or listened to, and rarely deletes them either. I have constant problems with that.

Downcast I bought last week and seems much more capable. However, it isn't the most intuitive app. There wasn't a play button that I could see, you had click on the description in order to play a podcast.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It wasn't free when I bought it ($2.99) and the Pro IAP is a whopping $0.99. That'll definitely break the bank. :rollseyes:.

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

That's not the point. If you pay your car off, does the state make you refinance it again to drive on newly paved roads?

13. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

+1 for Instacast. It's the cleanest, most "Appl-y" Podcast app out there (and yes, I have used most if not all).

As for the pro/in app purchase debacle, the developer charged for a pro version to support push notifications of new episodes which was available on the HD iPad version, but not on the phone version. Included in that pro purchase was the ability to create customized playlists, which were taken away from prior owners and moved to in app purchase. Since the first 2.0 version, the 2.0.1 version has been released that has given back the creation of smart playlist ability to non-pro owners. So as far as I have been able to tell, the pro version just contains push notifications for new episodes. There may be more items, but I don't use them or have no need for them.

14. ring thread starter macrumors regular

It's a waste. The developing party seems like a scam. And the app preforms like crap. It isn't worth it, the free apps I've tried were even better than instacrap

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you don't want notifications then don't buy the upgrade. Push notifications cost the developers and they have to pay for it somehow.

I'll agree that putting smart playlist creation in the original IAP (for 2.0) was an idiotic move but they've since removed it from the IAP in 2.0.1 and added it back into the main app.

Performs like crap!? I use it daily, multiple times a day and I can't remember the last time it crashed or lagged (if it even has).

Look, use whatever you want. I just don't think there is a better podcast app out there.

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No but they have a "road tax" bundled into the price of Gas.

As for DownCast's UI, it works great. Better yet once the podcast is running I just use the earbud remote to skip forward (double click) or backward (triple click).

17. iamjose macrumors regular

My vote is for Downcast. I love the iCloud sync when going from my iPhone to my iPad.

18. ElZeus macrumors regular

Another vote of downcast. I can live with it's UI.

19. knux11 macrumors regular

downcast. ugh. such a PITA to use. still looking for the best one. I liked podcaster but ever since ios 6 i haven't been able to find PTI in it for some reason.