Favorite Root Beer

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What's everyone's favorite root beer?

Can be either a megabrand, a local brand, or a small, lesser known brand.

My favorite is 1919 Root Beer, right off the tap. My family rents an 8 gallon keg every new years and it is the most delicious pop I have ever tasted, not to mention best root beer of all time. In my opinion, other root beers are either way too soft (MUG or A&W for reference) or have way too much bite (Barq's for reference), but 1919 has the perfect blend.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Way down here, one of the more popular ginger beers is 'Bundaberg' but my personal favorite is put out by 'Mac's' brewery. A nice drop with a subtle bite.

KGB:cool:

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Root Beer is not Ginger Beer. Root beer is known as Sarsparilla in the commonwealth countries.
Oh, OK. Bundaberg also brew a Sarsparilla. I've tried it, but prefer the Ginger Beer. My Mam used to have Sarsparilla when she was a child when travelling with my Grandparents. It's what the kids drank when their folks were having a pint and or a shandy.

KGB:confused:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
You train your kids to drink alcohol?

Do they have a choice in the matter?
"Training" perhaps wasn't the correct word. More in the having a "beer with lunch"-sense, which is much more common here (than in the US, which has a love/hate attitude to alcohol).

At the university cafeteria (in Frankfurt and Stockholm) beer was available for all students. In fact, in Stockholm, it is served out of the soda/juice dispenser (next to the Coke and Orange Juice) and in Germany, one must only be 16 to be beer, so it's quite common to see teenagers having one with lunch (especially in southern Germany.)

Here's a webpage describing it: http://www.malzgetränk.de/Content-pa-showpage-pid-2.html

Last edited:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
There isn't a very big selection of root beer in the UK but fortunately the most prevalent one (Bundaberg) is very good.

bundaberg.jpeg

In fact I may say it's even better than most I've had in the US because it uses real cane sugar (instead of that high fructose corn syrup crap) and actual sarsaparilla root and vanilla beans. It's delicious.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Coke is made with real sugar in Sweden and it makes a world of difference when compared to HFCS.
FWIW you can get "Mexican Coke" in the traditional glass bottle at many Costco locations in the US.

I like Virgil's Root Beer which is also HFCS free (unlike IBC) and readily available at your local Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

B

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
BJ's Brewhouse Root Beer and Old Dominion Root Beer.

After drinking those root beers A&W, Barqs, etc taste like crap to me.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I don't really drink soda anymore and haven't had caffeine in at least a few years beyond a sip her or there but if I had to grab a root beer today it would probably be Barq's. I love the bite and flavor and when I think of root beer it comes to mind first. Though a good fresh tap root beer can be considered just as good too.

chordate68

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Los Angeles
ICB, A&W, then Dad's.

My cousin from Argentina tried root beer for the first time when he was visiting a few weeks ago and got hooked. His wife said it tasted like medicine.