Favorite Wine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by palmerc2, Jun 10, 2014.

1. palmerc2, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I've seen threads on here about favorite whiskey, and beer....what do you folks enjoy for wine?

I'm partial to red wine myself, I find white wine to be too sugary. I love Shiraz, Pinot Noir, and Merlot. When it comes to wine, my palate is pretty basic - either it tastes good, or it doesn't. I have mad respect for folks who can detect the subtle flavors....especially sommelier's.

I've had some expensive bottles (in the ballpark of $200) but hands down my favorite wine to date is Failla Pinot Noir, great value too at about $30 a bottle.

[​IMG]

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

3. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personal favourites include Amarone and Ripasso; while, in general, I prefer rich, robust reds, (some Spanish wines - Los Cosmillos comes to mind - also make that cu, as do some Chilean reserves) - a good Riesling from Alsace can be very nice in summer, and I am also rather partial to elegant white Burgundies.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

AAHHH, the bottle is empty! Definitely a good whine.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, once upon a distant time, I, too, thought a little like that……Happy student days when the only good bottle was an as yet unopened bottle……..

However, with increasing age, a more discerning palate, perhaps a more accommodating wallet, one learns to………make choices, sometimes even informed choices…..

Now, I find I have quite strong preferences, both in what I like, and equally, in what I realise I actually dislike……and will not touch...

7. mariefuller macrumors newbie

I find that I like white.. I really like Pinot, and Riesling, but I don't like the fishy taste of Chardonnay. Anyone have a suggestion for a good white that I can try?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Gotta love Trader Joe's!

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Not a fan of wine, though maybe I've yet to develop a good taste for it or haven't bought enough to buy one that I like.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I normally don't quote myself, but I came across this a few minutes ago. It is an article about how Trader Joe's gets its 2 buck chuck wine. Thought some might find it interesting.

http://nowiknow.com/winning-the-wine-lottery/

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My personal favorite is Sangiovese from Castello di Amarosa in Napa. Love italian style wines. Their winery is ridiculous and awesome at the same time, so its a good trip. They also do a blend that is great called Il Brigante (the blend changes every year)

Have been drinking more pinot lately, mostly because its easy drinking but not so overpowering fruity as merlot. The only merlots I have found that I actually like are Raymond vinyards and Red Rock. I am sure there are more good ones out there than have enough tannins in them for my pallate, but they seem few and far between in the affordable price range.

Used to be a huge cabernet fan, but for some reason just haven't find myself craving it as much lately.

14. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Trust me, I was the same way, now I've developed quite a taste for it. It was literally overnight. Everybody has different likings, but with everyone I've asked no one has said they don't like Pinot Noir. If you feel inclined, give it a shot. The winery Failla I referenced to in the original post has an incredible Pinot, but not readily available. More readily vineyards I enjoy and recommend getting would be Yellow Tail and Francis Ford Coppola (yes the film director). Maybe also try wine tastings?

I will definitely try that wine you referenced by Castello. I'm really starting to like Italian style wines. I recently had a Nebbiolo, and a Barbera - I was an instant fan. I didn't know there were so many varieties of wine grapes. I've heard there are over 1,000 varieties indigenous to Italy alone.

I go to Napa every couple of months, perhaps I'll pay a visit to the winery :)

15. Shrink, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Chablis Premiere Cru and Meursault.

I know a true connoisseur would go for a fine red...but I've always been partial to whites.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While, in general, I would not class myself as a connoisseur (or even much of a fan) of a lot of white wine, the Burgundy Meursaults meet with my complete approval, and are one of the very few white wines that I actually like. Rather a lot…..in fact….

17. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

My tastes are very similar. At a fairly young age of 24, I'm really starting to appreciate the finer things in life. More particularly, which ties into this topic, is food and wine. I recall just a couple short years ago I would only drink (fairly tasteless) liquor and beer, and I would eat just to fill up and eat as much as I could. Now, I eat to experience more complex flavors, skill of the chef, etc. Before the maximum I'd spend on a dinner was $20. Now I don't mind spending $200 for the experience. Luckily there's many good choices, including some famous Michelin Star restaurants in Los Angeles to eat at. Same idea goes for mixology cocktails, my favorite thing to do with a mixologist is allow them to get creative and make a drink on the spot. $20 well spent on a delicious mixology drink. Of course, I also have a newfound appreciation for wine.