Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnlyMarcusCannn

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
For the past two weeks in class, we've been studying Urban Legends, where and why they're contrived and how they differ from their origins. It's surprising how some urban legends change DRASTICALLY as they're passed on.

Anyway, I've heard a few interesting urban legends, and some of them actually pretty freaky. My favorite one to tell people is the one with the clown and the babysitter [I'll quote it from Snopes for the sake of my laziness]:

A couple with children were trying out a new babysitter. About an hour after they left for a night on the town, they realized they had forgotten to give her their cell phone number, so one of them called her.

After she wrote down the number, the babysitter asked if she could watch satellite TV in their bedroom. She had just put the children to bed and wanted to watch a particular show. (The parents didn't want their children watching too much garbage, so the living room TV did not have satellite channels.)

Well of course she could watch TV in their room, they replied. The babysitter had one other request: could she put a sheet or blanket over the clown statue that was in the bedroom? It kind of made her nervous.

Take the children and go to the neighbors, said whichever parent was talking to her. We'll call the police. We don't have a clown statue.

The police caught the clown as he was running through the neighborhood.

That one gave me the chills for MONTHS. :eek: What are some of your favorite urban legends or myths?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
For the past two weeks in class, we've been studying Urban Legends, where and why they're contrived and how they differ from their origins. It's surprising how some urban legends change DRASTICALLY as they're passed on.

Anyway, I've heard a few interesting urban legends, and some of them actually pretty freaky. My favorite one to tell people is the one with the clown and the babysitter [I'll quote it from snopes for the sake of my laziness]:

That one gave me the chills for MONTHS. :eek: What are some of your favorite urban legends or myths?

Holy crap! That story is intense true or not! Really cool.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mel's Hole really caught my eye since we found something similar once. Only we lowered rope down and it was just a really bloody deep hole.

Then I listened to the radio interviews about it and yea, kinda destroyed it. That and it being impossible.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
I've heard of that story, Actually i got it as a email chain message. But instead of that happier ending the kids and baby sitter died. And if you didn't pass it on you were next! *GASP* i deleted and still living today..

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Speaking of chapstick, I had always heard that if you put chapstick on the striped edge of a ScanTron sheet, it would give you a perfect score. A few years ago at my old school, a slew of kids started trying it, and whenever teachers saw kids using chapstick during a test, they would confiscate it. :p It doesn't really work, however.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
now this one is true as it happened to my friends and i in middle school

we were watching a movie and saw a a guy staring at us in the window. we then hid and called the police

in short the police informed us the image we saw was a reflection of the guy BEHIND us as there were footprints on the carpet.

needless to say that scared the **** out of me and still gives me chills every time i think about it

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
now this one is true as it happened to my friends and i in middle school

we were watching a movie and saw a a guy staring at us in the window. we then hid and called the police

in short the police informed us the image we saw was a reflection of the guy BEHIND us as there were footprints on the carpet.

needless to say that scared the **** out of me and still gives me chills every time i think about it

Creepy.

I think that what makes Urban Legends so awesome and scary is our fear of the unknown. Like the same deal with being scared of the dark and open spaces, you don't know what's there.

Urban legends, (like John Lennon once said "I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now? ") play tricks on our minds and leave us asking, did it really happen? And could it happen to me?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
My fav is the couple who get a hotel for the night and one of them wakes up in a bathtub full of ice missing a partner and a kidney. It creeped me out for like 5 minutes until I thought about it. Like there are some renegade doctors out there looking to jack your precious kidneys. :p

link - link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.