Favourite colour printer under $1000?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eclipse, Aug 3, 2009.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    My wife had me all ready to buy a certain Canon printer and then I read this review.

http://www.cnet.com.au/canon-pixma-mp980-339291595.htm

I'm more interested in print quality than speed, as we might use it for mock-ups occasionally. (And I might want to print out a few activist posters now and then! ;)) Any ideas on a good colour printer that prints text based layouts nicely?

how do you usually decide what is a good printer, and where/who do you read? Also, I'm very interested in the economics of buying individual colour cartridges, NOT a combined colour cartridge. (That's got to be one of the biggest scams in printer history!)

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

At my school in my photo class we use that printer and it is amazing! we have it calibrated with a printer color calibrator ( spyder lab I think ) and use the spyder 3pro ( which I own and love ) on the displays and after printing photo's from it there is almost no difference at all image sharpness and color is amazing. Ink as always will be expensive. At my school we get about 30-40 full sheets of photo paper printed at the highest quality before one of the inks run out. It is slow but I have never seen better quality ( though I am sure there is better somewhere ) I say go for it!