Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
So, what's your favourite Aleph One mod? You a fan of the originals, or, like me, prefer what a bunch of dedicated fans can do to a very old 3D FPS engine?

I've played Durandal and Infinity, but not the original (The blasphemy!!!). Of 3rd party mods, I've played a few, of which Eternal and The Gray Incident I haven't finished. I find them boring. The three I really, really enjoyed are EVIL, RED, and Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge. Especially the last one. I really hope MMMG make EMR4, because it just seemed they were making all these new features and technology, but only used them once in the game. I also enjoyed Squadron, but found it too easy, and way too short. If I can finish it without too much trouble on TC, it's too easy, in my opinion. :rolleyes: I also started playing Rubicon, but it got to the stage where my old computer couldn't deal with one of the maps, and the framerate made it unplayable, so I gave up.

*spoilers and rant!*
V. Dissappointed that there is only one hoverbike map. That was really fun, and I think there should be a few. Similarly, the makers of the game came up with about 10 different spells for the magic wand, but with a different spell in every level, you inevitably don't use them enough. Hopefully EMR4 will exist, and it will contain about twice as many maps!
*end spoilers and rant!*

So yeah. What's your favourite?

EDIT: 490th post! Almost there!

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
for me, the most complete and greatest mod is Marathon Rubicon total conversion.

It's huge, it has a great story, great artwork, it's refined, it has multiple plots, and it's simply the best mod I've ever played. It's not to be missed.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Agreed about Rubicon. To me it's the real Marathon III. With Marathon Infinity, it was too hard to actually understand what was going on with the plot, and the levels generally aren't as varied and fun as Rubicon. Mind you, Rubicon is still pretty surreal at times, but it's accessible.

--Eric

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Agreed about Rubicon. To me it's the real Marathon III. With Marathon Infinity, it was too hard to actually understand what was going on with the plot, and the levels generally aren't as varied and fun as Rubicon. Mind you, Rubicon is still pretty surreal at times, but it's accessible.

--Eric

I agree Marathon Infinity was just a mess but the story was intriguing, fun and surreal. What ruined it for me was how uninteresting the levels were, at one point I was only rushing the levels to read the terminals because they were so boring and ugly.

MarsUltor

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of marathon (the series is among my all time favorite FPS), does anybody remember that before Bungie was bought out by Microsoft, Halo was supposed to be a Mac game.... but the release kept on getting pushed, then M$ bought bungie, and it was all lost

woxel1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2004
Speaking of marathon (the series is among my all time favorite FPS), does anybody remember that before Bungie was bought out by Microsoft, Halo was supposed to be a Mac game.... but the release kept on getting pushed, then M$ bought bungie, and it was all lost
I never forgot.

jepjepjep

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
original

The original Marathon 1 is still my favorite. I guess the nostalgia factor is high. Sounds like I'll have to try Rubicon though.

Agilus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Massachusetts
No other fans of Excalibur??? Specifically EMR3.0?

This makes me sad.

Here's a link to somewhere you can download it (I think)
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39294085s,00.htm

It's big, but it's a great game.

I'll have to try this out. I've been putting off my Mac game playing for other hobbies, but I keep meaning to try out Marathon. I have it on my computer.... If I get to it, I'll let you know what I think. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.