Favourite Participatory Sports

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by decafjava, Sep 21, 2011.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I was just wondergin what kind of sports MR people like to participate in, web surfers and forum warriors do not count.*

After a nearly 3 year hiatus brought about by a fall from my bicycle that led to a broken ankle, I've restarted using a bike as my primary transport. While it is electrically assisted-I usually only use it when I get home for the home stretch as I live uphill. Even when on lower settings you still get a work out, just a steady one as you still have to pedal. I also enjoy walking, especially in the wild, and use no assistance for that. In any case I have other activities as well, I belong to a gym and have tried a couple of other things as well which I will outline.

Gym: I do the machines, both cardio and weghts, not so much free weights as before, but prefer the courses. Stationary biking-especially with a crazy and very sexy lady instructor-body pump, etc. Tried a yoga course last week and it nearly killed me, and I was one of only two males there. :D

Boxing: Yup gave it a try as a sport last year and loved it. Just hitting the bags and light contact sparring but what a workout!

Tango: Actually very physical, dancing needs good body control and awareness. Have tried others as well, salsa, ballroom.

Team sports: None since high school, except a couple of friendly outdoor ice hockey games in uni, the less said the better.

So over to you all, what sports or other physical activites do you do? Which have you tried but didn't like?

*Indulge in a bit of that myself :eek:

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Golfing and snowboarding primarily. Occasionally I'll play some hoops or some football with my friends. Not sure if this counts but I love to jet ski whenever the opportunity arises.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Basketball in a team half the year, tennis socially and competitively, Aussie Rules (AFL) sometimes (my favourite sport to watch) and soccer which I just play in the park with friends every few days.

I like my sport in general.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I love cycling. Other than that perhaps badminton, although I don't really play that much. I used to be a member of a swimming club for about seven years though.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Weight lifting, ice hockey and floor hockey. Ice hockey is my favorite. I play 2-3 games a week.

6. moikeyy macrumors member

moikeyy

I play Ultimate (frisbee) twice a week and lift weights four times a week.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've always wanted to try disc golf. Have you ever done that?

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Beer-drinking has to count.

It's an important part of Oktoberfest, and it's almost October. Yeah, I train during the other 11 months of the year.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My favorites are soccer and ultimate frisbee. I don't play either of them as much as I'd like.

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My favorite are equestrian and skiiing. They are both too expensive to go reguarly though.

I do hot yoga a few times a month.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Football (soccer) is about the only sport I play regularly now

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I've been bowling (tenpin) since I was 3. I'm 37 now, and have no plans on stopping anytime in the next 30 years. That's my #1 sport. While I love tennis, it has become more of a recreational sport to me than participatory, so every so often I'll hit around a ball.

I would LOVE to play a game of footy (Aussie Rules football). That sport is great, though it is hard as hell to find an Oval here in the US (closest true oval/cricket pitch is in Canada). I'd be happy if I could kick a Sherrin around at least once!

Everything else is a spectator sport to me..

BL.

13. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Disc golf is very enjoyable. I played it out in California a few years back and it was great. Very challenging if you're not the best at controlling a frisbee though.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm gonna have to give it a try then.

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I play three or four times a week. So addictive. If u have access to a good course it's a good cheap activity. The discs aren't like frisbees. They're all designed to do different things like golf clubs.

16. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Golf and baseball. Occasionally a game of basketball. I need to start weight lifting. Back in high school I played golf 5 days a week (golf team) but now that I have to pay for it I mainly play on Saturday's and that is it.

I would like to play hockey but I can't ice skate because I live in the south where there are no rinks, and nobody plays hockey down here. I guess the next best thing is lacrosse but nobody really plays that either. Sigh

17. ender land macrumors 6502a

It's also a significantly different arm/wrist motion from a more normal frisbee. I play both a fair bit and it sometimes gets really hard to switch between them easily :)

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've been skiing since I was a kid, nothing like a good day on the mountain. I also love rock climbing, mostly bouldering—I love trying a problem over and over until I get it. I get more out of exciting problems with a some highly technical or big power moves than I do more traditional climbing.

Other than that I'll play decent squash, piss-poor tennis, mediocre golf, I'm an on-again-off-again runner and I lift free weights before work every day.

Also I absolutely love small-boat sailing. Nothing quite like it. I sold my sailboat before college and haven't been sailing in a couple of years, though. :( The club sailing team at my college never quite got its sails up. ;)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what I've heard. Very interesting.

I definitely need to try this game.