Favourite Record Shop

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oscillatewildly, Feb 10, 2009.

1. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Physical, none of your download malarkey.

Banquet Records in Kingston upon Thames

Cheers,
    OW

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

Criminal Records
    little five points, atlanta, georgia

3. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Amoeba Records. San Francisco and LA locations are epic. The original Berkeley location has been rather hit and miss of late.

Aquarius Records.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

There were 3 stores in Evanston IL that were fantastic.

Tempest Records in Birmingham has always been a good place.

There were a few independent stores in Coventry in the early 90s that were excellent too.

EDIT: I've just remembered that great store in Santa Cruz...

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

We have a local record store and coffee bar known as Checker Record's that I love.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

The CD Exchange in Henrietta, NY. Mark is the best and bargains with you after he gets to know you..

I've been going in there for as long as I can remember and that's where I've got like 90% of my CDs.

EDIT: My bad. I thought you meant hard-copy music altogether, not the old vinyls...

7. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I've spent many hours digging through crates there. Sadly, my vinyl collection just gathers dust now, but I'm not ready to sell. :(

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

So buy a turntable! Or dust off those records and play 'em.

I listen to music in digital form about 80% of the time myself. I'm either taking the bus somewhere, driving somewhere, or at my desk and don't feel like walking 15 feet to flip the record over; streaming my ripped music from iTunes to the stereo through Airport Express is still oddly satisfying.

Most new albums sold on vinyl nowadays come with free digital downloads, so why should I buy a compact disc ever again?

9. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

In 1987 I completely sold all my Vinyl (about 50) and moved to San Francisco from New Jersey. I slowly began buying CDs and soon replaced all my tapes (I copied all my albums into casettes before I left) with my old collection. In SF they had the original Tower Records which was a great place, now gone, but I never went back to albums. I now have a CD collection of over 900. I stopped counting but have them and my brothers collection ripped to my iTunes. I'm not at my machine so dont know the numbers but it is over 1200.

One of the reasons I got rid of my collection was it was too heavy. Now I'm thinking my CDs take too much space but I still buy them, used. I still admire album covers.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Cheapo in Minneapolis. Mile upon mile of used vinyl. I once picked up a pristine copy of Zeppelin II for $5.

11. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

Melrose - EDIT: My bad. I thought you meant hard-copy music altogether, not the old vinyls...

Melrose,

CDs aren't excluded. My preference is for vinyl, but it's more about the shop you enjoy visiting the most - rooting around, recommendations, social side - instore gigs, shop club nights, coffee ...

Cheers,
    OW

12. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

In Georgia I go to CDexchange. They have a ton of used CDs for $2-$8 depending on how popular the disc are. Since a lot of the stuff I'm interested in is from the 70s I tend to pay $5 each. Love the place.

13. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    Selectadisc in Nottingham. I spent a fortune in there when I lived in Notts and always pay a visit when I'm there seeing family.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Is that still there?
    The London branch is now Sister Ray, IIRC.

Is the Nottingham one still split across 2 (or was it 3) shops?

15. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    It is still there but now it's just two shops instead of the original three. The two are joined together into one (not so) big store and they opened up the basement.

I didn't know the London one had shut down!

16. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

If you're talking buying physical CD's, for me there's only one place: Amazon.com. The demise of Tower Records has pretty much reduced me to this place to get a real Compact Disc. :(

17. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Every time I go to Seattle I have $200 budgeted to spend at Sonic Boom Records and Silver Platters. Walking into either of those places is dangerous for me, I could easily spend $500.

18. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Berwick Street dries out more and more every year.

Not sure about its name, but there are three (four) shops next to each other at Notting Hill Gate. That's where I left most of my money last time.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I tend to get all my stuff digitally, but when I do want a physical CD, there's a local chain in St. Louis called Slackers that I like, since the big stores like Best Buy and Target tend to only sell the latest mainstream garbage. There's also Vintage Vynil (probably the most well known record store in St. Louis if not the entire midwest) when I feel like venturing out into the U-City Loop, but that's not often since it's nowhere near my house, as opposed to Slackers which is in a mall that's a 5 minute drive from home.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Gah!!

Don't tell me that!:D

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I used to go to Tower Records but that was for DVDs. The last time I was there was about two years before they closed. The last real CD that I bought was around 1998 or so and I have had no reason to go to a record store since.

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Silver Platters
    Easy Street Records
    Sonic Boom
    and some other smaller shops in and around the Seattle area.