Faxes I can view without printing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dougdoma, Mar 25, 2011.

1. dougdoma macrumors newbie

May 27, 2010
    My current printer is in its death throes, and one of its features I've always hated is that the only way to send a fax of a document is to print it out, then fax. Similarly, the only way to read a fax is to print it.

I'm sick of these <$100 printers that crap out within a year or so, and it's time to spend what it takes and get something that'll really work.

How do I find (without the obvious tedious search) which printers will allow me to send/receive faxes from/to files without printing? Anyone have anything s/he particularly likes?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    This is nothing to do with printers. You need either a fax service, where you send the document to them and they fax it on your behalf, or a fax application on your Mac, which connects directly to the phone line and faxes it. This can work as a printer driver (you print but choose the fax instead of a physical printer) , or just a separate application. For that you'd need a fax modem, along these lines http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FDLM0

I suggest you Google something like 'mac FAX application'

(p.s. are you *sure* you need fax? Dont most people let you send a pdf or similar directly? I cant recall the last time I sent a fax, must be 5 or 6 years ago.)