Faxing From a MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Clean, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mr. Clean macrumors member

Mr. Clean

What is the best way to send and receive faxes from a MBP? I'm sure that you need to buy an external modem, but the question is, to be more specific, do I need special software?

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

As long as you have a USB modem (or another Mac on the network with a shared modem) you can fax anything you can print.

Just go to File > Print in whatever application, click the PDF button, then click "Fax PDF". I use this in conjunction with my PowerBook G4 over the network and it works quite well. :)

Oh, and you can receive faxes by going into system preferences and enabling that feature.

3. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

Thank you, I knew that it had to be that simple...:D

4. grodgers macrumors member

Have you tried eFax?

www.efax.com

5. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

Took a look at the web site just now, sounds like a good deal. I was just hoping for a free solution though.

Is there any way to use your iPhone with the USB modem to receive faxes?

6. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

I just watched an episode of Mac Most and he recommended faxZERO for those rare moments when you have to fax a document. It's free but it's limited and supported by an ad that placed on your document. IMHO, I think that faxes are an antiquated technology and people who still use them are wasting so much of their time, money and resources. Always suggest email.

7. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

I just haven't found an easy way to get the paper into my Mac yet.... Maybe you could help with that as well. :D I would much rather e-mail than fax aswell.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

In the business world, faxing is still very important because it's the easiest and fastest way to get a hard copy of a piece of paper that you need or need to send. I don't see faxes going away for a LONG while because its so much more easier(especially for non-tech savvy people) than having to scan a document, send the document, check your email for the document, then print the document.

9. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

That is why I do it...Not that I'm not tech savvy and can't figure it out or anything.