Faxing with Bluetooth Modem - Can't Receive Faxes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Aug 20, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

A few days ago I set up my cell phone as a bluetooth modem for faxing. I had done this once before on windows and it worked well, I was able to send faxes using the phone as a modem, it was perfect. I can do the same now, I believe. However, the options under Fax in the System Preferences seems to indicate that I can also receive faxes. I checked the box for receive faxes and lowered the number of rings before pickup to 1. A fax call came in through my phone, and nothing happened. Does anyone know how I can get my computer to receive faxes with a cell phone used as a bluetooth modem? The comp and phone don't seem to be actively paired, however I can browse files in the phone through my computer without having to set it up again (it was already set up) so it seems to pair for a moment, but it drops the pairing. Logic tells me the phone and comp have to be actively paired at the time the fax comes through. Any ideas?

EDIT: Turns out I can't send faxes either. I feel like it has something to do with the phone not being actively paired to the computer.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you established your cell phone as your computer's fax modem?

3. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did what was outlined at the Apple site and in the Help... it involves adding a printer and then picking Bluetooth Modem and browsing to a file in the system... thought none of it seemed to be specific to my phone. Once I did all that I had bluetooth modem as the only listing under Fax, but I think this establishing it is my problem. How do I do that? I'm pretty sure I haven't, but I don't know what that means or how to do it.

4. loneshark macrumors member

any updates here ?? im trying to do the same with a motorola v550