Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi

I use an iPhone 6. All legit, NO jailbreak. I use Safari to access FB. I have installed ADBLOCK plus and enabled the same as content blocker on settings -> Safari -> content blocker. I have NOT tweaked any other settings in ADBLOCK for iOS. Safari is native to the iPhone and ADBLOCK is from the appstore. So all standard.

Now, of late the FB adverts are becoming a nuisance. Too many recommended pages pop up. One it's annoying. Two these ads are heavy on graphics etc and consume bandwidth and reduce speed

Are there any practical tips / tricks to *limit* these adverts to some reasonable level ? say 1 per hour ? or 1 per so many pages or something ?or any other reasonable metric

I understand that all free websites need some adverts to survive, and poor Mark needs few more billions to reach top spot !! :) , but it's getting all too much and hence this post

All tips / tricks are most welcome. I'm told the FB app is better, but I can't believe how the app will throw less adverts than FB web

YEs I've updated to latest iOs. No I haven't bought anything using FB

thanks in advance for your time and tips
best regards
Subu

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Recommended pages are not pop up ads, they're basically posts by FB, so adblockers won't be able to stop it happening

Just install the app, it's much better than the web page - just ensure you change your settings, so videos don't autoplay or run in the background.

Alternatively, just stop using Facebook, it's garbage anyway

Reactions: poematik13

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
So you confirm what I fear... FB is one step ahead of the adblockers

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I just logged into my Facebook and didn't see any advertisements, I'm using Adguard though for my content blocker.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hal~9000 : could you please enlighten me about Adguard : thanks
[doublepost=1457685805][/doublepost]FYI , I just downloaded the FB app, still see adverts, havent used it long enough to confirm though

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What kind of advertisements are we talking about exactly? Perhaps some screenshots would help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.