iPad mini FB Flash games able to be played?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by James717, Aug 13, 2013.

1. James717 macrumors regular

Some of my friends are hardcore FB gamers. I think those games use FLASH.

Does the iPad minis support FLASH?

I know my iPhone 3,4, and 5 do not.

But hey, it's 2013 and Flash has been around for like 5 years. It's a staple in the software and website industries.

I don't get FB games, but I get that question a lot.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Cobster macrumors member

no support... and flash is a bit more than five years old...

But try using a browser that will show flash - like til Puffin browser...

3. mac00l macrumors 6502

Actually... Flash is on its way out. It was old tech when the first iPhone came out....

It has been around for almost 20 years.

4. James717 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, for real?

Then...uhh....why isn't it extinct?
    A lot of FB games use Flash...

5. 960design macrumors 68000

Hardcore and flash just doesn't seem to match up in my head.

As stated before, you can use Flash on an iPad ( or iPhone 3, 4, 5 ) using a Flash based browser like Puffin. Having said that I do not recommend putting flash on an iPad or any mobile device. Many reasons that you probably already know about.

But apparently one that you do not. Adobe abandoned flash for mobile over two years ago. Why isn't it extinct? Why do a lot of FB games use flash. Flash is like code legos. Very easy to develop on, but that comes at the cost of heavy load on CPU, monster code bloat... basically it's crap.

Don't get me wrong, Flash had it's place and it was the best back in the day. But technology has moved on. The developers of those FB games have been fired, promoted, ect. The companies still deploy the games because we buy them. They don't care about the security of our devices, battery consumption, or even us as people. Just dollar signs.

Adobe Announcement:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

Steve's thoughts on Flash:
    http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

6. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Before becoming an Apple product user, I bought into the "Stinks because you can't use Flash" comments. After buying my first iPad, I decided to look into why flash isn't supported on that device, and ran into Jobs' explanation linked above. Made sense to me, and I moved on no longer feeling that I was missing out. ;)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well smartie, people are still using flash to develop in spite of the obvious signs that they shouldn't be. Why isn't it extinct? Because it's not an animal being killed off, perhaps.

Just because FB is stuck still using Flash doesn't mean it's widely used. Unfortunately there are many sites still requiring it, but generally speaking, it is indeed becoming less and less of an issue for people who can't see Flash on their iOS device. FB also allows people to upload videos that require a Flash plugin to be viewed. Those the videos I simply do not watch unless I'm sitting around doing nothing on my desktop.

Your friends aren't hardcore gamers if they're gaming on FB. Farmville isn't a hardcore game. Nothing on FB is hardcore for that matter. Your iPad mini can run Puffin Web Browser (if it is still around) and then view Flash sites. Then they can hardcore game all they want.

8. Tomacorno macrumors regular

At first I thought you were being overly harsh on what is probably a young kid - then I saw your signature and realized your response was just right.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Many of the largest Facebook games have iOS apps. Only the junky ones are flash only.

10. James717 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I just don't know the answer.

Now I do, so I'm grateful for all responses.

:)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So overly harsh is now the new way of describing giving the guy a way to be a hardcore FB gamer?
    I think you're very clever to associate my response with my signature, if that counts.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No. no device running iOS supports Flash and likely never will given that Adobe gave up on all development of Mobile Flash for any OS like 2 years ago.

there are apps that will connect to servers that convert some sites etc that might work but generally those flash games on facebook have native apps which work much better than trying to convert them