FB integration and unified contacts

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jmmo20, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Something's messing up my contacts real good :)
    I use FB contact integration and I love the fact I have all my contacts in one place and that both FB and iCloud contacts are sort of merged together in my iphone. I say sort of because of the use of unified contacts, FB+icloud are still two different contacts but show up as one unified contact in my address book.

My only gripe is with the way iOS handle contacts with different names. Lots of my friends use bogus names on FB. Sometimes I need to merge their FB contacts manually, while others is a matter of them not using their full names for example.

At any rate, I take the time to manually merge the contacts selecting their proper name ("Use this name as the unified contact name" option) and everything looks good.

Except that every now and then, iOS seems to forget that preference ("Use this name..") and goes back to the original Facebook name.

For example the clear examples are "mom" and "dad". My icloud name for them is mom and dad and they are merged with their facebook accounts. Every couple of days, the iphone decides to revert back to using their full FB name instead of the name I selected in their unified contact cards.

Am I the only one?
    Is this a known occurrence?

If this keeps happening I will "un-unify" those contacts altogether.. I can't waste time every couple of days fixing my iphone contacts!!
    thanks.

2. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

yeah i had the same problem. it's just not solved well from apple i think.

i'm using now sync.ME... good alternative :eek:

3. Jaypi macrumors regular

Jaypi

Not possible the Sync options are pretty standard, nothing to change ..

Use sync.me as the poster before me :) It's a great app.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

This annoys the hell out of me and I hope apple sorts it out.

Siri too gets confused when you add these kind of people to your relatives list and ask it to "call mom" or "call partner" and their names dont match any more.

5. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

I've noticed this, as well. My dad spells his name two different ways for his professional and personal lives. When I say to Siri "Call dad", she responds with "Which dad?" and asks me to select one of the spellings, as if they're two different people.

6. Troneas, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Quite. And perhaps this might seem trivial for some but sometimes its just not convinient to have to deal with this sort of confusion.