FC Express Dvd editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mattrsa, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

I want to edit some dvd's which someone at work made. The dvd's are approx an hour long and are about 3gig and what I want to do is to split these in five or so 10min clips for streaming off the net or downloading.

I have got Final Cut express and am using mpegstream to convert to a format which I can open with final cut.

My questions is what is the best format to use mpegstream to convert to?

I tried dv and that converted the 3 gig dvd to an almost 12gig dv file,

is my best bet?

any advice on this would be great.

Regards
    Matt

2. -DH macrumors 65816

DVD-Video is a highly compressed delivery format ... not really intended for further editing. However, a lot of people seem to want to use DVD-Video as source footage so there are ways. You're on the right track with MPEG Streamclip. Use it to convert the DVD's VOB files into the format that MATCHES YOUR FCE SEQUENCE SETTINGS. If that is DV, then choose DV NTSC (or PAL) in MPEG Streamclip.

And yes, even with DV's mild 5:1 compression, an hour of footage will require roughly 13.3gb of disc space.

-DH

3. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info

yes I understand that using dvd footage is not ideal but it will have to do in this case.

In the future I will be producing more video by capturing it with a mini dv camera and then editing this.

I will give it a go using the dv format and split it into clips and see how I get on.

Cheers
    Matt