Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

FCC Filings Suggest Updated AirPort Base Stations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

[center][img]http://images.macrumor...251-airport_fcc_filing_500.jpg[/img][/center]​
Engadget reports that filings have appeared on the website of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding what appear to be updated AirPort Wi-Fi base stations. Little is known about the new units, as Apple has requested that such materials as photos and the user manual be considered confidential for the time being.The FCC did let one Apple product through to its online database tonight, although nothing that'll excite you quite like magical mice or revved up iMacs. Instead we're looking at models A1354 and A1355, a pair of 802.11 a/b/g/n 3x3 access points with the exact same, nondescript label picture that indicates some heft to the unit.Similar filings regarding yet-to-be-released keyboard and mouse models appeared on the FCC's site earlier this month.

Rumors of numerous possible product announcements today have been generating excitement in the Apple community in the wake of yesterday's record-breaking earnings report, and online Apple stores around the world are currently down for maintenance and possible updates.

Article Link: FCC Filings Suggest Updated AirPort Base Stations

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
New Products (from AppleInsider)

MC340LL/A - AIRPORT EXTREME (SIM DUALBAND) - USA
MC343LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 1TB (SIM DUALBAND) -USA
MC344LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 2TB (SIM DUALBAND) - USA

SIM? 3G access too? (oh, simultaneous dual band, boring)

Also new Mac Minis (2.53GHz 1TB 4GB server, 2.53GHz 320GB 4GB consumer, 2.26GHz 2GB consumer), iMac 21.5", other stuff

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don’t really know what else they could do with their base stations. It’s already 802.11n, has a gigabit switch and supports simultaneous dual-band.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
With all the stores down, if there are no new iMacs a lot of people are going to be ticked... including me... :p My credit card is ready and willing today...
Apple requested for secrecy. What the...?
That's nothing new with the FCC. They usually accommodate apple's requests for a certain period of time...

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
New Products (from AppleInsider)

MC340LL/A - AIRPORT EXTREME (SIM DUALBAND) - USA
MC343LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 1TB (SIM DUALBAND) -USA
MC344LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 2TB (SIM DUALBAND) - USA

SIM? 3G access too? (oh, simultaneous dual band, boring)

Also new Mac Minis (2.53GHz 1TB 4GB server, 2.53GHz 320GB 4GB consumer, 2.26GHz 2GB consumer), iMac 21.5", other stuff

I don't see that article at AppleInsider. I'll look again. Anyhow, Sim is short for Simultaneous, I would think.

I know these'll come out because I just bought one to be delivered tomorrow (not from apple). yay.:rolleyes:

Edit: just did a refresh at AI, there's the article now.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
If the SIM means 3G then hopefully it's HSPA+ - with 19 networks running at 21 or 28Mbps, it makes sense to go with HSPA+ right now.

But it probably is simultaneous dualband...

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Why keep the base station.

I can see more effort in the Time Capsule but not in the Base Stations. I don't know about the rest of you. I keep Wi-Fi routers hidden and out of the way. There isn't much need for a stylish base station And Macs work just as well off the more affordable Stations (often better because the other guys are not afraid to make it ugly and put antennas on it for better reception). The Time Capsule on the other hand has an advantage of an easy setup for backups. And A wi-fi router.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Install a power supply that doesn't fail after 18 months?

The base station power supply is external and doesn’t exhibit the same problems as the Time Capsule’s.

They should dump the Time Capsule completely and support AirDisk drives as Time Machine backup drives officially.

As a first generation Time Capsule owner, it was pure hell to deal with it. You can’t even perform minor disk utility functions (repair permissions, repair disk, etc) on it, much less recover your data in case of a failure without tearing the thing apart and voiding your warranty.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don’t really know what else they could do with their base stations. It’s already 802.11n, has a gigabit switch and supports simultaneous dual-band.

The AEBS:

- Does not have AirTunes
- Has too few gigabit ports
- Doesn't seem to allow to switch off only the 2.4GHz radio

jjxc90

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
The base station power supply is external and doesn’t exhibit the same problems as the Time Capsule’s.

They should dump the Time Capsule completely and support AirDisk drives as Time Machine backup drives officially.

As a first generation Time Capsule owner, it was pure hell to deal with it. You can’t even perform minor disk utility functions (repair permissions, repair disk, etc) on it, much less recover your data in case of a failure without tearing the thing apart and voiding your warranty.

AirDisk backups are officially supported. I ditched my TC, bought an Airport Extreme and added a 2TB raid.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006

I'm hoping something like support for AirDisk and Time Machine so that we're not handcuffed into buying a shoddy Time Capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.