FCC/FTC PROBING WHY SECURITY UPDATES ARE SLOW

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by epicrayban, May 10, 2016.

1. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yep, this is something I can back. Force the carriers to get out of the way and stop adding their bloat ware and playing games with updates. Look at Verizon has just done with the S7 update. Verizon needs to be sued into oblivion.

3. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

Agreed. I'm sure Google's happy about this too. Hopefully something comes of it in the next year or so.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

It would be great if out of this vendors like Samsung can update their phones without carriers getting in the way. But then there will be no excuse for slow updates as all the onus will be on the OEMs to get their updates out faster.

5. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

Yep!

Like I said, I'm reasonable. I understand the nature of Android. If the carriers eventually get out of the way, the OEMs could promise a 2-3 month window when a new OS version is available. That should be ample time to adapt whatever they have to adapt, QC, and get it approved to push out.

Of course... I don't think this battle will happen easily. This is just an investigation for now, right? We won't see anything come out of this for a year or two. I suspect ATT and Verizon, especially, will be putting up a huge fight.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

yep...these changes won't happen any time soon. Then as you pointed out VZW and AT&T will no doubt fight it every step of the way.

7. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Agreed. I think the OEMs like Samsung are just fine hiding behind the carriers taking this on the front line. But there are PLENTY of carrier free unlocked phones out there not getting OS or security updates. Take out the carriers, and the blame is fully on the OEMs. They will feel the pressure directly.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I hope some big fines and a class lawsuit follows this!

9. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

So far, Samsung has been good with the updates with Tmobile. I think with the right carriers, both carrier and the OEM can work together to deliver fast updates. My S7E has the May security updates, for example. No excuse why ATT, Verizon or Sprint can't accomplish the same if Samsung/Tmobile can.

That's the question, are carriers like ATT/Verizon willing to do this?

10. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Agreed.....I think they have been hiding behind a broken process too. Let's eliminate one hurdle then make the OEMS responsible for faster updates!

11. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

The question is how long will Tmo provide those monthly updates for your 7 and how long until it gets N? I wouldn't call it a success for Tmo/Samsung customers yet.

12. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

I thought we're talking only about security updates. But even then, you're right, who knows how long this will last and how long they'll keep it up for, but so far so good. My point was mainly, it's entirely possible for OEM/carrier to work together to push timely security updates. For example, the May security patches came like May 2nd or 3rd or something. It was very timely.

As for Android N, ya, forgetaboutit. Lol. Ain't holding my breath on that. Of course, for me, though, my solution is just to move to the HTC Nexus. ;) Which is why I'm hoping Google/HTC delivers later this year!

13. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Is the S6 and Note 5 getting the monthly security updates as well on Tmo?

14. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

My N5 was getting all the monthly security updates. The S6 too from what I have read.....

15. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

Great question. I'm actually not sure. I lent my S6 to my sister. I'll ask.

16. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

So you have the May update on the Note 5? I was reading they just put the April update in with the MM upgrade. Good sign if they are moving that fast and regularly on the older devices on tmo.

17. epicrayban thread starter macrumors 603

epicrayban

S6 is on April's security update. Also T-Mobile.

18. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Yeah, likely also packaged with the MM update.

Well now that they have MM, they should be getting these monthly unless tmo is holding them back. Samsung is making them:

http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html

Models for Monthly Updates¹:

• Galaxy S series (S7, S7 edge, S6 edge+, S6, S6 edge, S6 Active, S5, S5 Active)
    • Galaxy Note series (Note 5, Note 4, Note edge)
    • Galaxy A series (A5x)