FCC has "concerns" Directv Now could be bad for business

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Well that sucks. I was really hoping that DIRECTV Now could force my family away from the expensive regular DIRECTV service.

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

For those of us without forced broadband caps, this service is great. If verizon wanted to, they could create a similar service to compete.

4. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Now that I'm thinking about it again, the only upsetting thing is the zero-rating, right?

5. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's one of the biggest concerns. The other big concern is AT&T owning both DirecTV and Time Warner. This could give them unprecedented advantage over other providers. Especially with the renewed attacks on net neutrality that will be coming in the near future.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I'm not to concerned about it. They will more then likely have the same restrictions place on them that Comcast did when they bought NBC/Universal. So far I haven't heard of too many problems with NBC/Universal content.

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Sure thing, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the large media conglomerates that were shamelessly in the back pocket of the other candidate.

Back to the point, there are definitely pros and cons that need to be weighed carefully before any decision is made on the merger.

10. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Just to be clear. Trump is also bought and paid for. If you don't believe me watch and see who he surrounds himself with.

Here's the thing with the media bias that people keep bringing up. While the talking heads are biased. The higher up you go, the more conservative it gets. And all they care about is $$$.

Personally I am not happy with this merger. I believe content owners and distributors should remain separate. Just as I believe ISP providers should be separate from pay tv providers.

11. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Hear, hear! We should go back to the pre-1996 regulations.

12. mellofello macrumors 65816

Sounds like a fair competitive advantage. These OTT TV services are really going to aggressively innovate,and drive down prices in the next few years. The FCC lost the zero rating argument already, I think they should turn their attentions to data caps before it is too late.