Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's not like Apple went out of their way to disable the FM Radio (or at least we have no reason to think they did.)

It's more that they just invest the resources into writing an app that uses it, or building it into an existing app.

They also didn't write an API to use it, so other app developers can't use it.

Does make me wonder though... maybe the jailbreak community has an app that can take advantage of it? Unless, as someone else suggested, there's some key wiring that was omitted (to save cost on manufacturing) that makes the FM Radio non-usable.

Reactions: HVDynamo

Hodar1

macrumors regular
An FM tuner chip is useless unless it can be connected to a suitable antenna. There is no headphone jack, and there may be no RF signal path from the Lightning jack, making any FM tuner circuit on the chip useless.
This depends ENTIRELY upon the strength and proximity of the FM transmitter. I have listened to FM signals without an antenna connected. Granted, the antenna helps immensely, but for those who live in or near large cities, the radio may work very well without any antenna at all. As this chipset is already connected to the existing antenna for LTE, the radio connections may be made internally to the modem chipset. Without a detailed schematic, and the datasheet for the chipset - neither one of us know; we both are speculating.

But, as a R&D Engineer who has built FM radios; you do not NEED an antenna to listen to signals, if you have a strong FM station nearby.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
How many times will we have to repeat that Apple could not enable this with a software update? If it was possible, don't you think that it would've been available via a Jailbreak by now?

The chip is most likely not even connected to an antenna. FM antennas need to be a certain length and on phones are usually connected through the headphone jack because of this. And guess what? There's no headphone jack on the iPhone 7/8....

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ugh, I understand the background, but please no. Functional FM radio on my phone would turn it into a radio device, forcing me to pay a radio tax (which is like $20 per month from Swiss franks).

Reactions: adib

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Or you could just buy an FM radio that will last for days on batteries, as opposed to using your phone which will last for hours.

Heck, they already sell emergency radios that are hand-crankable so no (disposable) batteries nor electricity needed. And those living in the areas they’re so concerned about already know this stuff.

Just sayin...

kubmeister

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
My understanding is that it’s always been about the function not working well. Apple set out to develop a phone, not a handheld radio. A chip they’ve chosen to help perform the phone’s functions also has some FM utility, but Apple hasn’t spent a lick of energy on engineering the antenna or software to really USE that function. I don’t believe that it’s as simple as turning it ON as the FCC chair is suggesting.

Apple should turn it on, so millions of us get static, to prove how ignorant the request is.

However, I have no idea if any of this is true and for all I know, they could turn it on tomorrow and it’d sound and work fine. Only Apple really knows that.

Don't forget they had FM Radio in the iPod Nano with DRS

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I remember something from long ago about Steve Jobs not wanting FM radios in iPods. But I don't think enabling FM would cut into Apple Music subscriptions. After all, I don't subscribe to Apple Music and instead listen to my own playlists as I would have on an iPod. My choice has nothing to do with FM radio. And it's really a chore to listen to music on FM; it basically involves listening to back-to-back ads with a few songs occasionally sprinkled in. That's no competition for Apple Music.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
They’d rather make it an exclusive feature of iPhone XI while acting like no iPhone was capable of this until now.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Apple shouldn’t be afraid of loosing Apple Music subscribers. People pay for it because they want it. Otherwise they would be listening to Free Pandora Radio or one of the zillion FM Stations over the internet.
Subscribers have Apple Music because it’s what they want.

After listening to music at 48khz of higher, 22Khz FM sounds like AM without the tuning whistles.

So, what is Apple afraid of? During Hurricane Irma, we lost power, internet, LTE, cellular and landline phones. Our only way to be receive communication was a windup FM Radio we had in the garage.
The rest of our technology was useless, iPhones, iPads and MacBooks were as good as a piece of wood.

So Apple, please enable the FM Tuner in our iDevices. ALL OF THEM!

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
He should also be calling out the carriers that request the functionality be turned off in Android phones.
Ajit also has some incorrect information. Even if the modem is there, you need an application to interface and tune the frequencies. You also need an antennae. In most phones this is provided by the headphones.
New iPhones don't have a headphone.
Will not work.

??? Of course new iPhones have headphones- what are you talking about? The lightning port does everything the old headphone jack did plus much more. If you mean that more and more people are using AirPods and other Bluetooth headphones instead of wired ones, that’s true, but it is a feature, not a bug

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Unless it kills the battery or some other such nonsense, seems silly to have it in my phone and not be able to use it. Hopefully they turn it on.
The problem lies in the language of just "turning it on" or "activating it". It needs at minimum a proper antenna connected, and Apple likely has not made provisions for such in the existing phones. They could build such into future designs, but that won't help anyone who already has a phone.

This request has the same sort of "technological illerate in charge" ring to it as politicians who insist that encryption algorithms be modified so police - and only police - can read the unencrypted traffic.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
A745EE8C-0AB6-46B5-AFC7-D0AB7A8EA7E1.jpeg
Or you could just buy an FM radio that will last for days on batteries, as opposed to using your phone which will last for hours.
Even better, a wind-up FM radio.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Amidst renewed pressure from the National Association of Broadcasters,
The pressure is because more people are streaming and less listening to radios. This is not some altruistic move by the National Association of Broadcasters. They've long wanted to have the radios enabled so the apps can be rolled out and compete against streaming services.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
... OK Apple didn’t even want to bring back the headphone jack. I have almost no faith if they’ll do anything to support FM radio antennas

Apple has already been there, they had that facility in nanos. They finally EOL'd the nano and shuffle not long ago so if desire for FM radio was driving that decision, case closed...

The radio of choice for emergencies is a crank radio anyway , what is wrong with that FCC dude?

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Putting on my dev hat... am I the only one thinking of this possibility:

FM radio API
+
Song recognition API
+
Recording

=

Apple Music Competitor

If they limit recording, then it wouldn't be a threat. But opening up the API to devs and prohibiting recording wouldn't be a popular move.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
My understanding is that it’s always been about the function not working well. Apple set out to develop a phone, not a handheld radio. A chip they’ve chosen to help perform the phone’s functions also has some FM utility, but Apple hasn’t spent a lick of energy on engineering the antenna or software to really USE that function. I don’t believe that it’s as simple as turning it ON as the FCC chair is suggesting.

Apple should turn it on, so millions of us get static, to prove how ignorant the request is.

However, I have no idea if any of this is true and for all I know, they could turn it on tomorrow and it’d sound and work fine. Only Apple really knows that.
I don't blame Apple for not turning it on (as if it was that simple) because it would be another part of the phone that the federal government regulates and that is one less thing that Apple can control. It's a niche case feature that people want immediately after natural disasters and forget about immediately afterwards.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I love FM radio, listen every day for hours. I was considering a BlackBerry KeyOne because it has FM radio, albeit you have to have headphones plugged in.

Would love to see my iPhone get FM radio. Maybe it drains battery?
I am not positive but I think it would be a net battery savings compared to streaming music over LTE. It would certainly save a lot data.

Reactions: atmenterprises
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.