FCE 4 Import Quality Loss

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by droptheone, Feb 28, 2011.

1. droptheone macrumors newbie

I didn't know to import from cam directly to FCE, so I copied them to desktop. They were .MTS files and I used WinX HD to convert them to a high quality .mov that can be imported into FCE. They look great in a player but when I import them, the quality is horrible and they're about 1/4 size. Is there some way to adjust import settings or a different format I can import them as?

I tried looking for a thread on this but couldn't find any

Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

What are the codec settings used for the transcoded file? Maybe use VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (10/2010, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) to analyse the resulting .mov file(s).
    Have you also verified the playback settings in FCE?

3. droptheone thread starter macrumors newbie

"HD Mov
    15000kbps
    29.97fps
    codec Mpeg-4"
    Playback settings, quality's "high" framerate's "full" RT's on "Safe"

4. simsaladimbamba

MPEG-4 is not meant for editing, FCE needs .mov files using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Maybe take a look at ClipWrapper.
    Have you also tried MRoogle yet?
    Btw, have you checked the manual of FCE yet or the playback settings in FCE (timeline window > upper left where it normally says "RT")?

5. droptheone thread starter macrumors newbie

the codec setting on the converter says "MOV" but the info on the file afterwards says Mpeg-4...

The RT settings are all on high,

but you've given me some good suggestions, so I'm going to go do some more homework on it.

Thanks again :D

6. simsaladimbamba

.mov is the container, MPEG-4 is the codec. A container can hold the information using a variety of codecs, like .avi (container) and Divx or Xvid (both codecs based on MPEG-4).

7. droptheone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again man, the MOV codec I landed on was "DV/DVCPRO" and I seem to get good enough quality for what I'm doing.

8. simsaladimbamba

DV/DVCPro is meant for SD footage, can't you use the AIC? Or do you only have SD footage?