FCE 4 Log and Transfer Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JNL Productions, Mar 1, 2011.

  1. JNL Productions macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    I just got a new Macbook Pro 15" and installed my copy of FCE 4 that I've had for a while. I can edit and import files from my HDD just fine, however when I try to use Log and Transfer to import clips directly from my Sony HDR-SR11 via USB, the clip says queued and then just goes idle with a red circle with an exclamation point in the middle of it. I tried reinstalling and it didn't help and I've tried deleting the preferences/changing the audio from matrix and that also didn't help. It's definitely the computer/software because it still works just fine on my Quad-Core i7 27" iMac at home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Macbook Pro 15" Specs:
    2.3ghz Quad-Core i7
    AMD Radeon HD 6750m w/1gb VRAM
    4gb RAM
    750gb 5400 RPM HDD

  2. gameface macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Good be a different setup. Save your easy setup at home and bring the file and open the project with that.

    Does your camera mount onto the desktop as a drive? If it does, can you drag and drop into the LaT window?

    I use FCP and have no clue about the camera so these are just guesses.
  3. JNL Productions thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    The project opening is not the issue, nor is seeing my mounted camcorder on the desktop and the log and transfer window. It's simply importing from the log and transfer. I can even playback the content while in the window. I can copy the .MTS files from the camcorder to a folder on my comp., however that requires me to convert them to a readable format for FCE and after the conversion, the video quality is never as good as the original. I may try deleting not only the actual FCE App this time and try deleting all of the documents along with it. I remember when I first started FCE, it asked something about the format of the camcorder I would use to import or something along those lines and I wasn't sure so I just picked whatever came up. I've done this with all my other computers and it hasn't created this issue, however I guess I may to change this to get it to work. Extremely frustrating :p
  4. DiZeX macrumors newbie

    Mar 16, 2010
    Helsinki, Finland
    Did you try to upgrade that FCE to version 4.0.1?
  5. electrolux76 macrumors member

    Oct 30, 2008
    I agree with the poster who suggested 4.0.1. If you're already at that version, it could also be that you need a ProKit update. Run software update and make sure you are fully up to date.
    I manage several labs that use Final Cut Express and I find the log and transfer function to be pretty buggy.(I can't believe how long it's been since the last update!!) I don't know if you have an Adobe CS5 installation that includes Adobe Media Encoder, but if you do, I prefer to do my conversions to Quicktime this way instead of using log and transfer. If you PM me, I could send you a screen shot of my custom presets for transcoding .MTS files to Apple Intermediate Codec in a quicktime wrapper. I have one that mimics what happens in Log and Transfer pretty darn well. The files come out nearly identical in both size & quality.
  6. JNL Productions thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone so much for the input. I can't believe I didn't think of updating before...just flew right over my head I guess. I updated and at first it didn't work but THEN I changed the audio from matrix stereo to plain stereo and now it works great. I don't have CS5 but am strongly considering purchasing it so I am interested in those screens. I'll PM you.

    Thanks a bunch. :)
  7. rickyt macrumors newbie

    Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks for the help

    I had the same problem with the "red exclamation point." I just purchased a Sony HXR-MC2000U and was able to see the video in the Log and Transfer window, but each time it started to "transfer," it would go idle and I'd see the red exclamation point.

    I had been searching for answers for hours. Then I saw this post with the suggestion to update to 4.0.1. I did. (I had 4.0.) And tah-dah!! It works!! Woo-hoo!

    Just wanted to chime in that updating to 4.0.1 -- at least for me -- solved the problem. Thanks so much. I had overlooked updating as a solution.

Share This Page