FCE 4 Project Export

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vandlism, Jan 30, 2008.

1. vandlism macrumors 6502

So my original footage is 720x480 and I want to export it as a standard .mov so that I can put it into iDVD and burn it out. However, whenever I export my project it is still a 720x480 but has added black bars on the top and bottom which results in a scrunched video image. I don't know if this has something to do with the Easy Setup and the timeline or what? If I switch my Easy Setup to Anamorphic, and export the footage from a new timeline the resulting video, according to Quicktime, is 720x480 (853x480). So it looks alright. My worry is what iDVD is going to do to the video now.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Hmmm...

Make sure you're not exporting the movie as a "quicktime conversion". Just export it with the "quicktime movie" command. Then import the file into iDVD.

I think maybe you've done that correctly, but If you view this file with the quicktime player IIRC it will look wrong, but iDVD should respect the aspect ratio. Did you try it?

( Also, don't forget to set your chapter markers in FCE )

3. labarker macrumors newbie

FCE 4 Project Export

huntercr, I am just now teaching myself how to use FCE 4. When I export as a Quicktime movie will iDVD crunch my project so it looks like crap when burned to a DVD? That's certainly the case with exports from iMovie to iDVD (or even to Toast 9). They are totally unacceptable, especially since they come from a high definition Sony camera and the movie looks fabulous played in iMovie itself. If iDVD does crunch my movies and animated slide shows, then I don't think it's worth all the time and effort learning FCE (not to mention the money I spent).

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

make sure your not using an HD theme in idvd that might cause it to be messed up.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

labarker, remember that DVD's are only SD resolution ( 720x480 in the USA ), so your HD items will end up smaller resolution.
    Apple doesn't support BluRay authoring yet, IIRC.

You can, however, use FCE to create perfect HD content... you just can't burn it and expect it to play on a DVD player. You can make it be full 1080p as a file if you want.

Does that help?