FCE 4 + Sony DSC 5 DVC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by millermackenzie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. millermackenzie macrumors newbie

Ugh, I purchased FCE and a new iMac for both my kiddos as they expressed a real interest in editing video, creating their own movies and helping dear old dad with his website tutorials.

I purchased several books, including apple's tutorial, went to the apple website and viewed the FCE4 tutorial, on and on...

My sole issue at this moment is I am attempting to import (log & transfer) video at 640 x 480 shot on our Sony Digital Camera (HSC 5). I can import the video but no sound. What is truly bizzare is that I can copy the file to the desktop and play it in quicktime with audio and in addition play it in FCE off the camera, but the second it shows up in the project window and is played... no audio.

This was yesterday's adventure, today (happy 4th everyone~!) an error message appears telling me the directory has unsupported media.

I read on a few forums suggestions like "targeting audio"... huh? The FCE book makes no mention of capturing video from digital cameras capable of shooting NTSC video, it rightly sticks to AVCHD and capturing from HD/HDV Video cameras.

I'm pretty new to FEC4 and am continuing to research my issue on the web, but am running out of avenues.

If you can help me, thanks in advance~!

2. swatchsa macrumors newbie

I am new to FCE too. I have the same problem as yours. I have .MPG movies from my little still sony Cam that can shoot small video clips. When I play them in QT, there is audio, but when exporting to anyother format, no audio.

So the best solution so far I tried and it worked: use MPEG stream Clip (free) and extract the audio file *original is mono, but you can extract to Stereo*, then export video to DV or whatever, then you can overlap them in FCE or iMovie (add the video then the audio with it)....

I am sure some smarter ways to do, but this is the quickest solution I have right now.

Ciao
    Stinger