FCE 5 anytime soon?

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
240
0
Apple updated FCS over the summer, and I half expected FCE to be updated by now. Does anyone know (or has anyone heard anything about) when it may be updated? I don't have the need (or money) for FCS, but I feel like FCE could use an update. Are they going to release it as a cocoa app do you think?
 

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
1,255
9
I'm sure an update is forthcoming, but your guess is as good as anyone's as to when exactly that will be. I'm thinking sometime in the first quarter of 2010, along with an Aperture update, but that's a total guess (and some wishful thinking) on my part. There have been rumors of Aperture X coming soon based on an Amazon listing for a book on it, but I haven't heard anything about FCE5.
 

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
2,496
1,356
Based on history, I bet it will be released January/February (just like how FCE4 was released 6 months after FCS 2).

I don't know if it will be a cocoa app but no doubt it will benefit from Snow Leopards built in technologies.
 

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
217
0
I am having a quandary about this myself.

I am in TV Production at university, where we have all Macs that use Final Cut Pro. This semester I'm finishing up right now has been all tape-to-tape editing, except that on the final news package, we're allowed to use nonlinear. I've got my entire project finished in a borrowed FCE 4 before most others have even finished shooting their footage, much less edited anything.

Next semester is all nonlinear, so here is my dilemma. Go ahead and buy FCE4 now, and risk FCE5 showing up in the next month or two, or wait. Adding to the mix is I really would not mind buying Adobe Production Premium for not really all that much more than FCE4, and get not only Premiere, but also Photoshop, Flash, etc. The one gotcha with THAT, is that I've been using the 30 day demo of Premiere, and for some reason it doesn't want to import from my DV cam (a Canon Elura 100 - anybody know why? It seems like Premiere CS4 is really limited on what dv cams it supports.).

What to do? Buy FCE4 now while I need it, wait on FCE5, buy Adobe Prod. Premium for $419 (academic disc.) are the choices.
 

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
1,255
9
What to do? Buy FCE4 now while I need it, wait on FCE5, buy Adobe Prod. Premium for $419 (academic disc.) are the choices.
Does your university offer its own discount on FCE4? Our campus computer store sells it for only $75. With that kind of discount, upgrading a few months down the line doesn't hurt nearly as much.

I have no idea what new features might be in FCE5, and I'm only a hobbyist/dabbler anyway, but it seems to me that if you have a need for FCE4 now, go ahead and buy it. I'm guessing that any new version will mostly be geared at taking advantage of Snow Leopard and 64-bit, and not so much about amazing new features. But like I said, take that with a grain of salt given that I don't do or follow this stuff for a living.
 

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
217
0
Unfortunately, no. Our campus store just has some kind of something with JourneyEd.com, which doesn't even carry Apple academic stuff as far as I know. Plus, Apple's academic software isn't upgradeable. I would buy the retail version from Amazon for $160. Or Adobe Production Premium Academic, which can be upgraded later to retail, for $419.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.