FCE & 5D Mark II?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HHarm, Nov 4, 2009.

1. HHarm macrumors regular

Are the video files from Canon 5D Mark II compatible with Final Cut Express 4? Also when the camera gets the 25 and 24 fps update will Final Cut be able to handle them? (how's it with the 7D?)

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you shouldn't edit the h.264 files from a 5dmk2 or 7d in either FCE or FCP without transcoding them first. (need to get them into an editing format)

FCE does not support 23.976fps timelines (24p with no pulldown).

3. HHarm thread starter macrumors regular

So with transcoding the 30 (and 25 fps?) are fine.

I don't want to buy FCP or Premiere (too expensive). If I want to edit 23.976fps do I have a choice other than to hope that FCE5 shows up and supports it?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

well if the update records the 24p as 60i with the pulldown added, then you'd be fine with FCE. however, this would be stupid and wasteful on their part (highly doubt it will happen).

if the cam records at 23.976fps (which it should), then you'll have to find a program to add pulldown after you transcode the files to use it with FCE.

5. HHarm thread starter macrumors regular

Coming back to the old question now that the 5D firmware has the new features.... Does FCE handle 25fps timelines?

Wondering if I can manage with FCE or do I need FCS!

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

FCE vs FCP

While it may seem like it's more expensive, you do have a camera that is worth a small mint (in my eyes) and getting the FCP studio 2 shouldn't be that bad. You could probably get a used copy for 4-500 bucks and you get the benefits of COLOR (which I see many Canon 5D people using) as well as compressor (allowing you to format into many forms) PLUS, you wont have to waste time transcording footage for FCE (which is 200 bucks).
    So for a couple hundred more, you could save time and have a HUGE array of tools to edit your video later.
    I guess it comes down to what your time is worth because as we all know time=money (even if it is a hobby)

Just sayin'...