FCE and "Log and Tranfer" questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by computerjunkie, Oct 12, 2008.

1. computerjunkie macrumors member

I don't have an AVCHD camera to play with the "Log and Transfer" stuff in FCE so I don't have a very good understanding of how that window looks and feels. Can someone answer some questions for me?

How exactly does that work? You hook up the camera and get the window up and going to where you can see the clips. Can you "review" these clips by playing them (before ingesting them), or is it a thumbnail of the first frame? Also, say I have 5 three minute clips. I might only want to "ingest" for editing purposes, say.. one minute of each of the 5 clips. Can I drop in and out points in the middle of each clip and only "ingest" the parts I want? Or would I have to ingest the whole three minute clip then edit around in FCE the one minute section I want?

I get the whole deal with how bringing in the AVCHD clips to AIC for editing explodes the file sizes, so I am just trying to get a handle on the amount of space I would need for certain projects.

Also, given the fact that tape based HDV needs to be encoded to AIC the same way, would it be any different? I have only been working with SD tape (DV) and I know you can drop ins and outs and capture only what you want, then fine tune edit in FCE. Would HDV tape be the same way in terms of capturing only between in and out points? And in terms of file sizes, would five minutes of AVCHD converted to AIC yield the same file size as 5 minutes of HDV converted to AIC?

Some insight into the feel and look of the whole FCE "Log and Whatever" would be great.

Regards,

G.
    Executive Producer

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

3. computerjunkie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks much. After all the reading I have been doing over the last week you would think I would have found that myself huh? I even went through most all of the tech bulletins relating to FCE and FCP. And still I missed it. Thanks again.

Regards,

G.
    Searcher