FCE and preserving timeline

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hagbard23, Apr 11, 2010.

1. hagbard23 macrumors newbie

How do I preserve the work that I've done in FCE pre-export. That way if I want to return to the way I have my timeline set as it is ready for export and change something, how can I do that?

I assume that all of that data is lost once exported to quicktime, yes ?
    Is there not an option to save it as for example .dv and when reopening said .dv file in FCE the clips and timeline are perfectly preserved ?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Your FCE Project is what saves all this information. It's "lost" on the exported file, but it will all still be there in your project.

Are you wanting to archive the project?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also take a look at the manual on how an FCE project is built.

There are the project files, with all the folders and bins inside, where the bins store the meta-information about the sequences and media clips you use,
    and then there are the actual media files, which store the video and the audio.
    The difference between those two is, that the project may only be some MB in size, while the actual media is in the GBs or even TBs.
    Also if you delete all the captured and imported media (while still having the originals on tape or some other place), but still keep the project data, you can re-capture/re-import all the media you still have archived and continue with the project.

But if you delete the project data, all the media you have won't help you re-create your project, except if you do it yourself again.

I don't know if FCE is able to consolidate, have a look at the manual (it comes with the software, albeit as PDF), because that way you can consolidate the sequence (copy all the media that is used to a new location) and delete the media you don't need.

4. hagbard23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm interested in the 'consolidation' you were referring to. I'm not interested in media that I am not using (GBs of it). Basically, whatever is not in the project data. Is the term in the manual "consolidate" ?