FCE doesn't play sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ultimate15red, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ultimate15red macrumors newbie

hi

i have one problem in my final cut express

when i try to import a .mov file..you know quicktime file

it doesn't play the sound at all

the video plays but their is no sound..just mute

can any one help

with thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What codec is used for the audio?
    You can either view the Info in QT Player or in FCE's browser.

And .mov is a container for different codecs, which does mean, that not every .mov file will work with an editing application, as such software needs its data as uncompressed as it gets, even if they have to use compression.

3. obrien234 macrumors regular

The format you're using is probably a "muxed" format. I'm guessing from an HDD camcorder? What it basically means is that the audio and video are combined into a single format rather than kept separate. Final Cut has some problems with muxed video and if it doesn't like the codec will usually just play the video with no sound. If this is a one time deal, you can try doing your project in iMovie, sometimes it has better luck with the muxed formats. If not, just google "demuxing" and there should be a few apps you can use. It's been awhile since I've had to do this but I believe I used FFMpegX.

4. ultimate15red thread starter macrumors newbie

can i view the codec from my library?or should i view it on my qt preference?

also if i have perian codecs does it affect on the audio?

with thanks

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't really know what you mean by "library" and "preferences", but the application Quick Time Player has a so-called "Movie Inspector", which can give you some details about the loaded file. It can be viewed via loading the file with the audio problem into QuickTime Player and then pressing "CMD+I".
    Under "Format" you should find the audio codec, in the following image it is AC3, a codec not meant for editing.
    [​IMG]

And FCE also has the ability to view some details about the loaded/imported file.
    When the file is in the browser (upper left window I guess), just scroll a bit to the right to see more columns that can be even added and removed.
    [​IMG]

Perian shouldn't affect the play-ability of an audio file. Either it adds the ability due to Perian supporting that format, or it doesn't add the ability, but it shouldn't remove it.

from Perian.org:
    Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional media:
    File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
    Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
    Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
    AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
    Subtitle support for SSA/ASS and SRT

6. ultimate15red thread starter macrumors newbie

oh sorry i thought you meant my qt codecs( i can view them in my library in the codec section)

well after i checked my video files most of them have aac not ac3

you know what i think fce sucks might as well give up and go to adobe premiere

thanks man

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's not that FCE sucks, it's that you want to use a highly compressed piece of audio, something editing applications don't really like. Maybe Premiere is something else, but I doubt it, as aac is quite Apple centric.

So what about converting that video to something with uncompressed audio?

MPEG Streamclip might be able to help you with that.
    It's a converter of all sorts of video and audio files.
    www.squared5.com is the address.

8. ultimate15red thread starter macrumors newbie

well am too lazy you know..all you wanna do is put the video and just edit that's all..but nooo you first have to convert it..then put it in the software

but thanks for the tip