FCE DVD authoring

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by x-rays, Aug 19, 2007.

1. x-rays macrumors newbie

I'm relatively new to Final Cut Express. I'm not thrilled with the DVD authoring of FCE via imovie. Are there any compatible Mac or third party software programs that will work with FCE? Thanks!

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Do you mean iDVD, iMovie can't author DVD's

Look into this if you need more options that iDVD offers

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/dvdstudiopro/

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

From what I can remember FCE outputs to Quicktime. If this is the case you should be able to use Apple DVD Studio Pro. This is much more professional with lots of options .. :) But it's rather expensive .. :(

4. Alican macrumors regular

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Not 100% sure .. :eek:

I know it comes on a separate DVD as part of Final Cut Studio and has a separate serial number.

I bought mine on eBay (genuine Apple disk)

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You used to be able too but you can't anymore.

7. x-rays thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant to say iDVD. Thanks for the help and the link. :)

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

X-rays, what is it that bothers you about iDVD? What version do you have? iDVD 08 is really fantastic I am blown away for the quality you get for the money.

You are aware that iDVD is only for developing the DVD content, menus and MPEG2 encoding and burning, right? You still render all your effects, transitions, etc in FCE. I only ask to clarify since you were calling it iMovie before.

As others have said, if you want complete control of your DVD with multiple alternate audio tracks, custom loops, jumps, etc , etc, you can buy DVD studio pro. Even the older versions will produce good DVD's, but it's a hell of alot of work.

Are you wanting to get into this semiprofessionally or is this a hobby, or what? Check out the demos of iDVD 08 if you don't own it, I think you will be impressed.

For example:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#idvd-create-46

( contrary to what the tutorial suggests, you can drag and drop files from the Finder as well, it doesn't have to be iMovie/GarageBand/iTunes )

Hope this helps!