FCE Export issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Scott C Smith, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Scott C Smith macrumors newbie

I am doing a project with lots of still pics. I am at the point of exporting them to Quicktime Movie. What I am getting is the aspects squashed and the pics are shorter and wider, hence so are the subjects. I have the aspect ratio adjusted in the Viewer and Canvas so they look normal there. The trouble comes when I view the final movie in either 4:3 or 16:4.

Does anyone have this problem and the fix for this. I am assuming it is a user thing I haven't figured out as of yet.

Thanks, P.S. Need help ASAP project due tomorrow. aarrrrrgggh!:eek:

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What is the original format of the video and your sequence settings? My guess is that you have a pixel aspect ratio problem. FCE/FCP adjusts for pixel aspect ratio during playback in the Viewer/Canvas, whereas Quicktime Player does not.

For example, HDV footage is technically 1440x1080i (non-square 1.33 pixel aspect ratio) coming off the camera, so it's "unsqueezed" to a proper 1920x1080 resolution during playback in FCE. In a case like this, the Quicktime movie would have to be exported as 1920x1080 instead of native 1440x1080 in order to correct to square pixels. QT displays pixels as square, which would cause a similar anomaly if played back at native 1440x1080.

We do need to know your settings before we can steer you in the right direction.

3. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

At a simpler level have you tried poking around in the compression and export settings? I think most of the codecs have a way of choosing 4:3 or 16:9 and some seem to default to 4:3 even if your project is 16:9

4. Scott C Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok the vid setting were 4:3 but the movie itself was made up of still photographs as a slide show with various effects. I have found this evening if I don't use any aspect correction the videos come out near normal but that is at a setting of 700 something by 500 something...

Is there a way to export it to a large file so I get good clarity when put through a projector? I am looking for the best quality I can get. JPEG is pretty good but I still have the same pixel ratio problems with the settings I am allowed.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Scott

5. Scott C Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I got it all sorted out and the project came out fine. Took a little tweaking but in the end it was caused by aspect ratio issues. I removed the adjustments for aspect and it came out perfect. I also used SD as the format then exported to iDVD and bingo I got a clean high quality presentation.

Thanks for all your help

Scott