Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I am trying to import files from a DVD that I ripped using Handbrake. The files came out as MP4 files. I tried to use Final Cut Express HD 3.5 to import them and I got this message:
screenshot.png

I searched some forums and most said to use MPEG Streamclip, but when I tell it to open a DVD, it tells me that the MPEG-2 plugin is missing and that I need to buy it. Any suggestions?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If you don't want to spend 20 USD on the QT MPEG-2 PlayBack Component, just open the .mp4 file in MPEG Streamclip and convert to a .mov file using either the Apple Intermediate Codec or DV codec, as you most likely just edit for fun.

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Actually, that's what I'm doing. I am not editing for fun, as I am making a DVD which will be sold. I'm trying to be more time efficient by not having to use MPEG Streamclip to convert MP4s to DV. Is there software that you know of (free, of course) that will rip a DVD straight to DV or any other video formats that FCE HD 3.5 will recognize?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Actually, that's what I'm doing. I am not editing for fun, as I am making a DVD which will be sold. I'm trying to be more time efficient by not having to use MPEG Streamclip to convert MP4s to DV. Is there software that you know of (free, of course) that will rip a DVD straight to DV or any other video formats that FCE HD 3.5 will recognize?

No and No. FCE should best fed with .mov files using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec. And I don't know of any other program that transcodes directly from a .vob (MPEG-2) to a .mov (AIC, DV) without the need for the QT MPEG-2 PlayBack Component. I used MPEG Streamclip and the QT MPEG-2 PlayBack Component without a hitch, but I had it already installed via Final Cut Studio.

So if you make money with what you do, you surely can spend 20 USD , can't you?

Or go the Handbrake > MPEG Streamclip > FCE route, by using a .mp4 file with a very high data rate (10Mbit/s) maybe and see if you get good results.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Using Handbrake is an unneeded step that costs you time and image quality. Rip the DVD directly to DV or AIC and edit with that.

Lethal

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
The reason that I don't want to buy the MPEG-2 plugin is because I may not use it enough. This may be one of the only concerts I will tape using a DVD. In response to LethalWolfe's post, how do you rip a DVD directly to DV?

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
I am trying to import files from a DVD that I ripped using Handbrake. The files came out as MP4 files. I tried to use Final Cut Express HD 3.5 to import them and I got this message:
screenshot.png

I searched some forums and most said to use MPEG Streamclip, but when I tell it to open a DVD, it tells me that the MPEG-2 plugin is missing and that I need to buy it. Any suggestions?

MP4's are not an EDITING format, it is a container format and therefore the version of final cut you are using will not import it. You need to use an mov file and the best quality would be apple pro res.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
how do you rip a DVD directly to DV?

You use MPEG Streamclip along with Apple's QuickTime MPEG-2 Component to convert the DVD's VOB files into an editable format that will match your Sequence settings in FCE. Or you can use DVDxDV to do the same thing. Handbrake is totally the wrong tool for this.

FCE works only with DV or AIC codecs. Any other codec will need to be converted prior to editing.

-DH

BipolarNick

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009

I do the same thing. It is very easy actually. What I do is rip it using handbrake into a h264 format mpeg uncompressed. Then I convert it into a .mov file using Quicktime Pro. If you don't have quicktime pro, well there are dozens of programs out there to convert files types. Some are better than others, but I just reconvert the file and edit them.

I recently just made a trailer for a movie from just ripping the file. A little project of mine I just finished. The quality is fine if you do it right and you'll have no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRdFtUF56FY

mdavies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you for all your help. I finally just ended up spending the money on the MPEG-2 plugin. It is MUCH better and faster than using Handbrake then MPEG Streamclip or Quicktime Pro. It will rip a half hour DVD in a half an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.