FCE HD-export for internet download/stream

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by elbonko, Dec 4, 2008.

1. elbonko macrumors newbie

i've put together a promo video in FCE HD 3.5 and exported as an MPEG-4 and posted on my website and would like people to stream it or download and watch later. many people are having trouble viewing it, however, even after installing Quicktime. i would love some advice on what settings to use for export that will:

-allow most people to watch it
    -maintain good quality
    -keep file size reasonable

any help?

2. elbonko thread starter macrumors newbie

3. 66217 Guest

I've made this a couple of times and it had worked, and my principal problems came from the way I uploaded the files to me website. I also have FCE 3.5, so here it is what I made:

The easiest way is to export as Quicktime Movie, without any compression. Then open the movie with Quicktime and select File>Export for Web. This would create a folder with everything you need, the video file, and the code you need to paste in your HTML document.

You could also export from FCE as .mov with H.264 compression, and make sure you click the "prepare for internet streaming" option. But my guessing is your problem is within the way you included the video in your website, and not so the video file itself.

4. elbonko thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i did the second option there (h.264, prepare stream...) then added the video to my site by "putting" it through Dreamweaver and making a link to it in my site. is there a better way?

or does that better way have to involve biting the bullet and buying quicktime pro?

5. 66217 Guest

I've found QT Pro a big aid, but it really shouldn't be needed.

Can you post a link to you website? That way we could rule out if it is improper coding.

6. elbonko thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, indeed. it is:

http://www.aaronbonk.com/index2.html

click the "Bonk-o-vision" button to get to the videos. they've all been done the same way, but the first one, the "Stage Show" is the one with which i am most concerned.

thanks so much!

7. 66217 Guest

They all worked for me. It makes me think the problem is from the end user, not you.:)

BTW, one quick thing I noticed, all your pages are untitled, so they all show up as Untitled Document (make a search in google and you'll see what I mean). In Dreamweaver there is a box at the top were you can name your page.

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I have FCE 3.5 HD, but haven't used it much. Usually I use iMovie, but plan to start using FCE more. I'll keep this thread handy for when I want to start exporting the stuff I make to the web.

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Flash encode

Download the free trial of Flash CS4 and make all of you videos play in Flash. Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4 both have buttons to "put" a Flash file in your website. Flash encoding your videos will make them stream A LOT faster if you do this right.:D

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    It seemed the OP was looking to get his video up in quicktime format though. Would the flash encoding be comparable? Isn't there a quality loss w/ going the flash route?

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If you really want to read all this:

Not if you encode with the right codecs. There are hundreds to chose from and you can put the video though different ones to make it load faster. Kind of like first and second pass rendering if you are familiar with Final Cut. Some older or bad codecs cause quality loss but provide a fast load. I have an extremely fast internet connection (1600KB/s download and 1500KB/s upload) so it loaded fine with for me. As most of us know, QuickTime is and has always been the best quality for video. Recent updates have changed this speed loss and have kept quality. Remember, YouTube, Vimeo, and other video host sites all encode their videos in Flash and YOU view them in Flash. Hence the reason you can't view Vimeo videos on the iPhone. And we all know how fast normal quality videos load on YouTube. The new full high definition feature on YouTube needs some ironing to say the least but the high quality loads at a fair pace for the quality. I'm sure Google has developed only the best formula of codecs for their precious "non-profit" website called YouTube. H.264 is a codec and is only one codec. Whoever developed H.264 "compressed" codecs and made a super-codec (if thats what you want to call it).