FCE HD - Problem keeping audio files connected to project

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stringtheorist, Sep 20, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I keep having to reconnect media (aiff) files to my FCE project. Initially I edit and store these files to my desktop, then drag to the browser, then drag from the browser to the timeline or viewer for editing. After deleting the original file I keep getting a media offline error and a reconnection prompt. Usually I cannot find it again. I therefore assume FCE does not make a copy of the file when I drag it onto the browser window. Where then should I save each media file to ensure I don't lose the connection with my project?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

why don't you try to store them in iTunes and import them (when you open your "import window") from music.

3. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I've tried saving the new file in the original folder and importing from there. Fingers crossed.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just so you know in the future...

Whenever you import media (video, audio, images, etc.) into FCE or FCP, it's only making a reference to that media. It does not make another copy of the media. If you move or delete the media from where it's referenced, Final Cut no longer sees that it's actually there. Therefore, you'll need to keep a copy of it somewhere.