FCE jitters on final exported DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RNKECREATIONS, Jun 13, 2008.

1. RNKECREATIONS macrumors newbie

I just finished my first FCE project and FCE is awesome... but now I am trying to put it onto DVD. It is a hockey highlight video with a lot of slow motion, normal speed, and still frames along with titles and fades and some simple filters.

The problem I have arises somewhere during the export procedure. When the exported sequence becomes a Quicktime video using the following--DVCPRO50 NTSC... it seems to be the correct one as the video has all the dimensions it should once burned onto DVD. This was attempt one resulting in what I thought was a success until a slow-motion clip appeared jittery or choppy as if it were missing frames (although in the FCE project the playback was as smooth as can be). What was worse were the still images (they seemed to twitch and vibrate just the same as if there were two or three still images fighting for center stage...)

So I did some reading on here and elsewhere and found the possible solution of de-interlacing and assumed that maybe I needed to change the fps to a set amount and I had read that 29.97 (I might not be accurate on that number but it was somewhere close to that). So I saw that 'interlace' was the default selection but the only other option in the drop-down was 'progression' so I used that. So with 'progression' and the 29.97 fps I exported for my second time.

The results were just the same--choppy slow motion clips and jittery stills (everything else seems fine though). It is very noticable and basically disturbing to the viewer. These results were viewed via DVD on a television. And one more thing is that would be important to know is that the Quicktime Movie runs and appears just as it should on my computer but only when burned to DVD does it show these symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. sgraphic macrumors newbie

same thing happens in iMovie 6

The same thing happened to me in iMovie 6. A slow motion sequence looked great on the computer but was jittery when burned to a DVD and shown on TV. I recently purchased FCE with the anticipation that this problem would be solved (I have not used FCE just yet) and am not happy to hear this is happening in FCE as well. I hope someone has a solution for both of us. Thanks to the person who does!

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

You are correct it is an interlacing problem (at least with the still images). You do not fix it upon export, however. You can fix it by applying a Deinterlace filter to each photo in your timeline. You can find the Deinterlace filter in the Effects tab, under Video Filters > Video > De-interace.

As a side note, exporting as DVCPRO50 is probably not what you want. You should choose DV NTSC 48kHz. This doesn't really have anything to do with the problems you describe, but it will save you some disk space and render time, and is the proper way. ;)

4. RNKECREATIONS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response and additional tip. I will give that a shot. Sounds like the solution I was looking for. Do you think this will also solve the slow motion problems as well?

Thank you. Will try it out.

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm not so sure about the slow motion problems, when you slow things down more than, say 60% of original speed it starts to look crappy no matter what. But if it looks good upon playback and just not on the DVD, mayyybe that might help.

6. RNKECREATIONS thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved!

The problem has been solved by using the deinterlacing filter to each individual clip that was a still or slow motion. Thank you a million for all the help. FCE is awesome and so is this movie now!:D

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Great! (PS You should post it somewhere for us to see! ;))