FCE: Making credits longer than 1 minute?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dolphin842, Jun 22, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Hi all,

I'm using the 'scrolling text' effect to create some credits for a movie. The song I'm using is roughly 3 minutes long, but the 'scrolling text' item on the timeline only drags out to about 1 minute and 4 seconds. Is there any way to make it go for all 3 minutes?

2. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

3. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Since you're using FCE I'm assuming that you don't have LiveType. In that case, make up your credits using Photoshop, or an equivelant raster based editing program. Make an image that's as wide as your video (720px for DV), and as long as you need for your credits. Compose all the text in this, leaving a screen's worth (480px for DV) of black at the top (so that you start with a black screen before the credits scroll).

Import this image into FCE, place in your time line and adjust the length to equal your music. Double click on the clip bar in the timeline so it shows up in the canvas. Now place your pointer in the time line to the start of the clip. At the top of the canvas is a button with a square in it - select this button and choose "image + wire frame" (this will let you manipulate the image). Scale the image in the canvas so that it's as wide as the frame, and position it so that the only the black part at the top is visible. Now click the "Add Motion Keyframe - ^K" button in the lower right of the canvas. Then reposition your pointer on the last frame in the timeline, and add another keyframe in the canvas. Drag the image up until you're at the very bottom of the credits. Now play your sequence, and it should scroll up for the full length of your music.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You know what happens when you assume? :p

LiveType and Soundtrack both come with FCE 3.5.

Just use livetype and you should be able to make them whatever length you want.

5. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Alrighty, thanks!

On a related note, what's the best way to export from LiveType? Last time I made something in it FCE had a fit and wanted to render everything (all I did was put some text on a DV clip that was working fine in FCE previously).

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Just save the file and you can load the LiveType (.ipr) into FCE and render it in there.

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

For anyone else reading this thread with an older FCE that doesn't come with Live type, you can do the same thing with the "Title Crawl" plugin from BorisFX. I can't rememebr if this comes free with FCE 2.x and 3.0 or whether you have to download it, but IIRC it is free.

8. smale macrumors newbie

Best Credits Solution?

I made credits in Final Cut Pro using the scrolling text function, but my film's distributor is saying they look like I filmed a television set. Someone told me I should be using an NTSC monitor so I can see them properly, but I'm also thinking I should re-do them in another program. I have Live Type, but there isn't much info in the help menu on how to make scrolling end credits. I have Photoshop and can try that method, and I also read about Keynote from iWork being okay... does anyone know the most professional method of doing credits? Should I try LiveType first? Does anyone know why my Final Cut credits don't look good on a DigiBeta when they look fine in FCP?

thx

Sophia

9. huntercr macrumors 65816

Here's an article talking about how to do it with LiveType:

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_scrolling_text.html

I still recommend using the BorisFX title crawl plugin. It is exactly what you are looking for, and I swear this used to come with FCP. I suppose it's been removed