FCE Media Connection Problem - HELP!!! (Urgent)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ~J~, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Ok, this is driving me crazy and I dont understand it.

I moved some media for a project to my external drive for long-term storage. I need to go back and edit a few small things in the project, so I open it in FCE. Of course, I get the media disconnected message, and I simply point FCE to where the media is now stored. One problem. One of the video clips doesnt connect, but only in the timeline. It shows connected in the browser, but the timeline still shows disconnected. What gives? I even went so far as to copy the video clip back to the original location and point it back there... but it STILL doesnt see it! I need to get this done quickly, should have been a 15 minute job for the edits... but has turned into already a 30 minute task. Please help!!

2. nep61 macrumors 6502

If it's just the 1 clip, why not just re-import from new location and manually replace the shots... I know it sucks, but in my years of editing, the time wasted trying to FIX a "problem" (software or hardware) is a lot worse than just re-doing over what you've already done...

I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear, but sometimes desperate times call for some "old fashioned" fixes... finish the project and figure it out later-- especially if a client is waiting !!

I hope you have good news to report soon :)

3. Bogeyman macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

I use FCP, but conceptually there can't be too much difference. When you re-route to you new location are you able to select a specific file or just a direction? If your clip is simple enough, why not just re-import the .mov (Or whatever) file and redo the cuts? (Oh look, someone just said it for me.)

Perhaps you should make sure you moved all of the pertinent files over and are picking the right one. Or, do a search for the specific file name and pick from the list.

4. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies...

Yeah, I thought of redoing all the shots used from this video clip... but its ~45% of a 52min video segment! Thats gonna take some time! Plus, I am using a separate audio track & therefore I have to re-sync the video & audio (which can be time consuming). I can do it just fine, its just a pain. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this for what seems to be a glitch in FCE.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

5. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixed!!!

Ok... I have absolutely NO idea how.. but right after typing my previous post, I decided to suck it up, go back in and just redo all the clips from that video... and then all of the sudden... FCE says it cant find the video and wants to reconnect it... so I point it to the (new) location... and BAM! It adds it in, and it plays properly in the timeline! WHEW!

Thanks for your replies and help guys. I do appreciate it.

6. nep61 macrumors 6502

Congrats on "FIXING" the problem. A quick word on digitizing... I personally prefer to mark ins and outs and LOG clips in 10 min chunks first, and then digitize a bunch of 10 min clips. This way, if there is ever a problem, it's much easier AND takes less time to re-digitize a 10 min clip vs. a 52 min clip...

I know it's a pain in the neck, but previous experience has taught me many things over the years !!! PLUS, if you need to burn the QTs to a DVD for archiving purposes, they'll be smaller files so you can get a few clips on 1 DVD.... I mean, what do you do with a 52 min clip as far as archiving?? Either keep it on a spare drive (waste of space) or have to re-digitize for an hour at a later date.... Just some thoughts...:)

7. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an 800GB FW800 disc that I use for all my FCE stuff. This is my first big project in FCE, and I am 100% self-taught with it. Overall, Im quite pleased with how things turned out.

As far as long-term archiving, I have a LOT of data to put on DVDs (14 segments @ avg 9.5GB/seg = 126GB!)...soooo... I am open to suggestions on that one. Even with dual layer DVDs, a single segment uncompressed wont fit. As of right now, everything is on my external 800GB drive.