Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
So I just bought final cut express 4, and i was able to convert my imovie 08 to XML then open in FCE4. After converting no sound comes out when I play it in the timeline. It shows the two sound channels and the audio levels next to the time line, but no sound out of the speakers. I can right click and 'open in editor' and it will open in soundtrack pro which i have from logic studio. In STP the audio plays fine, but not in FCE, which I would like to use to remove a hum with the audio filters. I'm probably missing something obvious, but i need someone else to point it out.

thanks

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
So I just bought final cut express 4, and i was able to convert my imovie 08 to XML then open in FCE4. After converting no sound comes out when I play it in the timeline. It shows the two sound channels and the audio levels next to the time line, but no sound out of the speakers. I can right click and 'open in editor' and it will open in soundtrack pro which i have from logic studio. In STP the audio plays fine, but not in FCE, which I would like to use to remove a hum with the audio filters. I'm probably missing something obvious, but i need someone else to point it out.

thanks

Check the Drop down under "View" -> Video Out -> Canvas Playback

Make sure it is "checked". ( enabled )

( I don't know why this would happen, I googled for it for you )

When you say it shows the audio levels, are you saying when you scrub through it, the levels flicker as you would expect?

Did you make sure your audio is rendered?
run Sequence-> Render All -> Audio to make sure
( normally you do have to do this for iMovie imported audio in the past, don't know about iMovie 08 )

Good luck!

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
thanks for the quick response. Changing the view to the canvas playback was the solution, now I have audio.

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.