FCE on a MacBook Questions

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hi guys!
I have been watching the features of FCE on Apple's website and I think I could really use them. They are not too advanced like FCP, but more advanced than iMovie. It looks great.

My only question is, if I have a MacBook 2GHz with 2GB RAM will it run alright? Apple's website says that MacBooks GMA 950 graphics are supported by Final Cut Express.

I really would enjoy a MacBook + Apple Cinema Display setup, but I don't want to sacrafice power here. Would the ACD slow down FCE?

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Caitlyn :)

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
Final Cut Express should run great on your MacBook. Video editing doesn't really use 3D acceleration so just about any video card will be fine. The ACD should be fine. You might notice that the computer runs a tiny bit slower at high resolutions because repainting windows takes longer, but I don't think it will be enough to bother you.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm, okay. I'd love to hear of other MacBook users using FCE. :)

So, would a 23" ACD make it worse as opposed to a 20"?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
it runs fine
and the 23 inch is ok but it might slow it down a bit id get a 20 inch and some random extra.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well, I currently have 2GB. I'm just debating on whether FCE will run okay with it, which it sounds like it will and if the extra 3" on a 23" ACD would make it slower...Thoughts?

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Caitlyn said:
Well, I currently have 2GB. I'm just debating on whether FCE will run okay with it, which it sounds like it will and if the extra 3" on a 23" ACD would make it slower...Thoughts?
Final cut should run fine with the extra monitor. You might just get a little lag when triggering expose or dashboard.