FCE Preview Window (left) stutters horribly

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bmcgonag, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm running it on an iMac Intel C2D, 2.16 GHz, 1 GB Ram. No other apps open, and when I move my DV footage from the bin to the first preview window for cutting down the video (creating in/out points) I can move smoothly through the video. I jumps so much in fact, that I can't even tell where it is for several seconds after I stop trying to move through. It makes it quite difficult to find the correct spots.

Any ideas or helpful suggestions to try when I return from work tonight would be great!

Oh yeah! It's FCE HD 3.5.1

Thanks,

Brian

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Does the video fit the Preview window without scrollbars? Try the "Fit to Window" option.

3. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

No, no scroll bars in either window. The video fits fine. Just won't let me move it forward using the controls under the window, nor will it just play flat out. The sound seems to go fine, but the video jumps 5 to 15 second intervals.

Do I not have enough memory, am I doing something wrong by importing it as .dv footage, any other ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks,

Brian

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It's probably not memory but storage. Is the hard drive with the video files more than 85% full?

5. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

No, not even 35% full, but it is an external drive... I'll try from the internal and see if it's better.

Yep, that seems to have sped it up quite a bit, but I still, have little stutters here and there...no big issue now though...thanks for all the great help.

Brian

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

What sort of external drive is it? I mean is it a 2.5" or 3.5" drive, and is it USB or FireWire?

You're welcome.

7. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

3.5" through USB2.0

Might work better with a firewire drive, but don't have one at the moment. No issue, I can keep the files internal, andmove them when the project is complete. I"m just messing with it for now anyway...trying to figure out what everything does, and how to tweak it.

Thanks again,

Brian

8. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Did you capture the footage yourself, or is this video you've obtained elsewhere, like downloaded from the internet?

What compressor is your video using? Everything should be set to use the DV/DVCPRO codec. You can verify this by looking at the details listed next to your clips in the browser. You might have to scroll over a bit to find the info I'm talking about, but it should match the info specified here (only difference being PAL instead of NTSC if you're in Europe or something).

9. vandlism macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue, though I bet my scratch disk is over 85% full. However, the video plays fine in the Canvas, just not Viewer. Ideas?

10. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If canvas is thet right side preview window, then yes mine plays fine there too...just not in the left side preview window.

I captured this video myself with a JVC Everio HDD Camera, and I use MPEGStreamClip to convert it to .dv. I'll check the setting you suggested, it may just be the issue.

Thanks,

Brian

11. vandlism macrumors 6502

So I wanted to test if it was my external hard drive causing this, but I moved my raw video over to my internal drive and it made no difference. Still cutting out. I also have it set to DV already. Hmm....

12. bmb012 macrumors 6502

It would definitely work better with firewire, USB 2.0 is awful with that sort of thing... I was using one as a boot drive once and tried USB for the heck of it... bleck.

13. vandlism macrumors 6502

well, im running off firewire. though that made no difference when i compared it to an internal drive.