FCE rendering options

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 22Barb, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 22Barb macrumors newbie

What options should I choose when exporting a FCE project into an AVI file for YouTube. Or is AVI the best way to go?

2. simsaladimbamba, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

simsaladimbamba

.avi is a container using a variety of codecs, such as Divx or Xvid (MPEG-4 variants).
    As YouTube also uses an MPEG-4 codec called H264, it is best to use the .mp4 format and the H264 codec during export.

Btw, exporting a video is not the same as rendering. The term "render" is used when the application has to calculate all the applied effects or non-conforming video (using a different codec for clips than the sequence settings are set to), the term "export" is used to get something (in your case the finished sequence) out of an application into a readable format.

See if this video can help: How to export a video made in Final Cut Express to YouTube | Video « Wonder How To
    the first search result of using "final cut express to youtube" as search terms.

3. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

A Big Help

I have a Sony Bloggie Touch, the files are mp4 1080p HD....

Im using FCE and want import the highest quality files to make work flow better.....

I have Mpeg StreamClip as a conversion tool....

What are the best settings I could use to avoid losing any quality?

PLZ HELPPP,lol:eek::confused:

4. simsaladimbamba

Export to QuickTime (CMD+E)
    Select Apple Intermediate Codec for 'Compressor'
    Select Uncompressed for 'Sound'
    Export

5. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

Wow ... That was quick...I really appreciate the help...

Quick Question?
    What is the difference between (Apple Intermediate Codec) and DV DVPRO NTSC?

An will that codec allow me to work faster without having to render just to preview?

6. simsaladimbamba

AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) does have better sub sampling (more room for colour) than NTSC allows, AIC can store HD footage, DV can't. Never use NTSC if you can use AIC.

AIC is the native editing codec for FCE, therefore using that codec for your footage will allow you to work without rendering, unless you add not-RT effects to the timeline.

7. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

Im back to work an thank you again...A new rule of thumb i just learned...

But...Finally... will I have to do any rendering just to preview my clips even before any editing?

8. simsaladimbamba

No rendering is needed if you use AIC as codec for your footage.

9. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

I just tried the AIC codec and it is still making me render before i preview the clips and it also looks cropped now??

10. simsaladimbamba

When you opened FCE or created a new sequence, what preset or sequence settings did you use?

Btw, if go into User Preferences of FCE go to the "Editing" tab and where it says "Auto conform sequence" select ASK.

11. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

1080i50 In FCE with all default settings....

What i was wanting to do is be able to work with clips without having to render each one just to preview them....Is there any other that you could suggest to make the work flow better, with a high quality as AIC???

12. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

In User Pref ASK is selected and the clips still does not fill the editing window...This is going to eat me alive until I figure it out....Lol:eek:

13. simsaladimbamba

Did you actually transcode your footage to .mov using AIC yet and have problems with those files?
    Or are you having problems with the source .mp4 files?
    What is selected in the "Easy Setup"?
    And I don't know of any better way to make your workflow better besides using AIC for video and Uncompressed ofr audio.

Hmm, I use FCP and therefore use a better codec (ProRes), but it should work with AIC too.

14. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

[​IMG][/IMG]

No Mp4 files work but yes I did transfer them to AIC but keep getting this crop issue [​IMG]

15. simsaladimbamba

Is the clip with the error the one called "clip4.dv"?
    If so, then that is because it is using the DV codec and not the AIC. You seem to have chosen "Export to DV (OPTION+CMD+E)" instead of "Export to QuickTIme (CMD+E)" in MPEG Streamclip.

16. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

You were right I just corrected it..Here are my settings!!! Should anything be changed???[​IMG]

17. simsaladimbamba

Nope, seems okay.

18. Trigga Trey, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

Ty I will try using these settings for awhile and see what i get here is a test vid tell me what u think of the effect...

19. simsaladimbamba

The colours are okay, but you should think about using a manual aperture setting, as the bright background makes the aperture smaller, thus the object of your attention is sometimes too dark.

20. Trigga Trey macrumors newbie

Trigga Trey

I agree, thanks again for all of your help really appreciate it...