FCE & Video Formats Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by norliss, Jun 30, 2009.

1. norliss macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I'm just getting to grips with FCE and am looking to cut a new project on it.

A friend of mine has the impressive Sony PMW-EX1 camera which will shoot in a whole manner of modes, alas FCE does not officially support them, only DV, HDV or AVCHD.

This camera will supposedly shoot in HDV compatible 1080i50/60 (at 1440) which we could use. However, I wonder whether it is possible to shoot at 1080p (i.e. non-HDV compatible mode) and use QT Pro to transcode the files to 1080i (or 720p) via Apple Intermediate Codec using HDV mode?

Earlier, I took a 720p demo file and used QT Pro to transcode into AIC 1280x720p HDV and I was able to import the resulting .mov into FCE with no problems. Admittedly, when I put this clip into a sequence it was unrendered...

Am I right in thinking my proposal IS possible or should I play safe and shoot in HDV 1440x1080i mode?

Thanks.

2. mooersrealty macrumors newbie

Playing it safe....not the way to roll.

Push the envelop. HD, maxium in despite compressions and all the other comments about play it safe. You want to look different. Better, unique.:D

3. norliss thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to be able to shoot in something that I can then edit in FCE!