FCE4 and easy color correction

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Aug 25, 2010.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Which color correction filter is easiest to use in Final Cut Express 4? I'm trying to correct an overly green scene due to a camera white balance error. This is difficult.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Use the 2 way color corrector filter. It's the standard thing to do.
    It is actually a 3 way corrector if you use the numeric component, but via GUI it's only 2 way.

Remember though, just because it's overly green on your screen doesn't mean it truly is ( unless you have a calibrated NTSC screen ).

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Thanks! While hunting for the 2 way corrector you mentioned, (which I don't have in FCE4), I found a few in the Quicktime folder that were easy to use. The color filters are scattered all over the place.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes you do have the color corrector.. you don't have the 3 way color corrector that one comes with FCP. You do have the 2 way color corrector though...Filters-> Color Corrector -> Color Corrector.

Google "using final cut express color corrector" and you'll get alot of good tutorials and even some youtube video tutorials.

Also check out the Final Cut manual... Help-> Final Cut Express User Manual
    It's more than 1000 pages and has some good tutorials.

Good luck!! Remember though that even though it may look right on your screen ( or wrong on your screen ) it may be correct when played on a Television. If you're only doing this to be distributed on the Web be sure your monitor is calibrated to sRGB.
    It's still not going to be "correct" for the Pros on this board, but it will work out for you better than your current approach.

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You really can't argue with this procedure. If it's destined for the web you should be judging it by how it plays on a computer monitor. Ideally you'd also be aware of how each platform (Quicktime/various web browsers/flash) deal with video. Quicktime, for instance, uses LUTs to negotiate colour space disparities between source and playback device (e.g., Rec.709 video being played on an sRGB screen). If that's how others are going to see it, that's how you should evaluate it.

6. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

The 2 way color corrector is working ok for me, but won't perform miracles. I'm trying to fix a severely green scene, but it might be better to desaturate all the color and go with black and white.

Photoshop and IPhoto have better auto level and enhancement filters that seem more effective. I suppose video is more complex than stills.

I'll keep working on this. Thanks again!