FCE4 Export size

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rderunner, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rderunner macrumors newbie

Help me figure this out.
    I shot video in1080
    converted it to h264 720
    when I edited it in FCE4 it is 720x480
    can I export it back to 720 into iDVD
    or is there is a better way to export.

Thanks
    Randy

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iDVD only works with Standard Definition (SD).

You shot your video in HD (1080 i or p), down-converted it to 720p (?) with the .h264 codec (bad codec for editing purposes) and then edited the video in FCE with a resolution of 720x480?

720x480 is the SD resolution of NTSC DVDs.

Why the need to convert the video from SD to HD (720p) to bring it into iDVD, which will ultimately convert it back to SD?

Just export the final master of your edit as a QuickTime (.mov) file with the Apple DV codec for example.
    .h264 is not the best choice for such purposes.

In the end the video on DVD will be compressed, so to get a good result (image quality) it's best to not compress to often.

As a user on this forum once said: See this empty soda can? Throw it on the ground and jump on it to make it as small as you can. When you have done that, pick it up and form it back the way it was as good as you can. See how it looks now? - That's compression.
    I was paraphrasing.

Also please use more coherent sentences next time, as it is hard to understand what you definitely mean by the poem you wrote.

3. rderunner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.
    What codec would you convert to for editing? The Video comes from the Camera as .mts.
    I thought that my preferences were set to 720 in FCE4 but it keeps coming out 720x480.
    Should I just use 720x480? this DVD is going to a bunch of adventure races. and will be shown on a big screen once.
    Thanks for the info. Sometimes it is just easier to ask than figure it out.
    Randy

4. b01189 macrumors member

Why are you Converting the footage to 720? For best quality you want to compress as few times as possible. I assume your shooting with a HDD cam, Hard drive HD camera. And using iMovie to import. Best case to transfer from there is just drag the video files from the Library to a folder. Then Go in to FCE and import with out changing the format FCE should adapt to what the video file is natively. Finally do what you need to edit, then export 'Using Quicktime Conversion' change the codec under options then Settings, I personal use DVCPRO. If your going to DVD the best compression would be MPEG2 which is the compression that DVDs use to write. You will need Compressor to export with MPEG2. If not best bet is DVCPRO.

Good luck on you shooting for Adventure Races