FCE4 - fullsize clip to zoom down to corner clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mary H, May 4, 2009.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

I am new at using FCE4 (2 days) so am still trying to figure out what to call what I want to do and the online manual is too huge to browse while I am trying to figure it out.

:confused: I have a video clip that I want to have start out as fullscreen but then I want it to shrink down to be superimposed in the upper corner of another video clip.

:confused: I also want to take a shape (a star) and make it appear as if the star is coming out of the night sky with the video clip transition out of the star. I have the transition, I just want to know if I can do the zoom thing coming out of a spot on the previous frame.

I know I need to get an actual physical book but don't have it yet? Are there any recommendations for a good one?

Thanks, Mary

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

once the clip is on the timeline double click it and it will appear on the viewer on the left. (canvas?) there should be a tab with i think its the middle one in which you will find attribes for scale etc.

recommendations for books

3. RatVega macrumors member

You may need to read some, but I like aggressive learners... ;)

For the first question, You need to have the starting clip on V2 over the destination clip (on V1) when you begin to scale down and steer the V2 clip using either the controls in the Motion Tab of Viewer or using the mouse on the Canvas while in Image+Wireframe mode, setting keyframes at the beginning and end of the effect. The duration of the effect is determined by the time between the keyframes. Working in Canvas is fast but not as precise or repeatable as working in the Motion Tab of Viewer.

For the second item, yes you can zoom out of the "previous frame" in much the same manner as before: place the incoming clip on V2 with a scale of zero (or dissolve on a 5-10% scaled image) and take it to 100% using the scaling control.

To get the video to play on a star, you'll need either a shape generator or a Photoshop image for the star on V2, then the footage you want playing on V3 with a composite mode of Travel Matte - Alpha (if you're using an alpha channel image like a PNG) or Travel Matte - Luma (if you're using a B/W image.)

Look up any of the odd terms using the Index in the online manual that's up under Help in the Apple Menu. You'll get used to it in no time. Spend the money you save on more MacStuff!

4. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!!!

:D That was easy once I knew where I was supposed to be.... plus I discovered a lot of other fun stuff to do there as well.

Thank you so much!
    Mary

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

he

if you're a "hard learner" (or whatever, I didn't use a book nor the manual, only online videos) chech youtube.com/appleshakegure. This guy is fond of apple, and sees it as his task to tell every pc boy that mac's are better. (in which I agree, but he is quite aggressive). But he makes very good tutorials. Much of what I know I learned from him. see for yourself what I learned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--V9ijrI5k&feature=channel_page