FCE4 is locking up during Export... HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by THA4, May 19, 2010.

1. THA4 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide....

I am no veteran in video editing, nor am I a rookie.... but I recently purchased Final Cut Express 4 and am running into a road block.

I am working from a Quad Core iMac

I filmed the footage with a Cannon XL2 and it has been captured and edited to the version I would like to export, it is about 7 minutes long and has video transitions, audio transitions, audio underlay in the form of music, text is also implemented, video on top of video (cut aways). I have implemented several options in the settings dept. but once the export gets to 31% FCE locks up and I have to force quit it.....

I'm not sure if this is even enough info to get an idea... but I need some help. :eek::confused::(:D

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
    THA4

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

updates and software

have you done any recent updates?
    maybe you could do a software update to see if there are any bugs.

also, what video formats are you using?
    what is your OS version?

3. THA4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X, Snow Leopard.

I just bought this computer and software, it is less than a month old.... Should I need to update things already??

And I thought Macs don't get "bugs" :eek:

[SIGH]

Define what you mean by "video formats" That is kinda general, but perhaps be more specific and I will let you know...

If an update is necessary, is there a link you could provide me with?

thanks!! I really do appreciate it!!!

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

From the apple menu click on software update. Let it run and it will tell you if your software is up to date. If not it will tell you what needs updating, make sure everything is checked off and click update. Make sure you save all your work because sometimes the computer needs to be restarted in order to take a effect. Their will be an arrow type icon next to the check mark.

Back to the video... Is there a red line on top of the video, if so the video needs to be rendered.

5. THA4 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is not a red line when I got to export, but after I have selected all my export options and it comes back to my time line, there are sporadic red lines.... I have tried rendering all BEFORE I go back to exporting but still get the same result....... will run an update next

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

If the updates don't work, see if you can figure out where it freezes, maybe at a transition/effect that needs to be re-done.

7. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

what kind of video?

by video format I mean what kind is it: H264, flash, mov, avi etc

8. THA4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried H264, flash and move.... and is there a way to change the timeline to % so I can find what the hang up location is??

Is it possible the file is corrupt and I'll have to do it over again??? I sure hope not I got 7-8 hours in this.... that would be a tough pill to swallow.... but I guess you do what you've gotta do. Thanks for the help so far!

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

are the video's being saved to HDD at all, can you play back what is already been exported before it hangs? If so, from that point on, might be corrupt and may need re-doing.
    Too zoom in/out on the timeline you can either press "z" on the keyboard and it will bring up a magnifying glass that will tell you if its going to zoom in/out when you click the mouse. If you press z quick twice, it will do the opposite if you only pressed it once. Or on the bottom of the sequence window on the left their a a slider scale that will enable you to zoom in/out.

10. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

What kind is the video your are editing?

When I ask what kind of video you have, I mean what was the SOURCE from? A DV, internet pieces, from a point and shoot digital camera?
    Is it all the same kind of video or is there mixed sources?

have you tried to get rid of all the transitions and then export? It's worked for me and the fix for that was easy.